Just received my AM Recon need some help for set-up.....

ejimbo4

Jan 7, 2013
Martin,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
:headbang:I just received my first sluice today!!!! :headbang:I have never used a sluice before except for my CA Bucket Sluice and I now have a AM Recon! The company I received it from didn't include the set-up or how to sheet it is supposed to come with. I read some where that it needs to be right, side to side and top to bottom and that there are ways you can tell if it is flowing right but can't find where I read that now so any help anyone could give me and some tips on the best way to use this would be greatly appreciated! I know that it needs about a two inch drop with it being 27" long and the bottom out flow should be above water to avoid build up.....anything else?

bswanney

Oct 12, 2012
Omaha, NE
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have the same unit. From what little I have worked with it, I suggest #1 - classify, classify, classify. Suggest 1/2" to 1/4" mesh or #2 to #4 mesh. The finer you classify the better your results. Feed already wet material, the drop sounds right about 2" I guess I may have run flater but I had a pretty good water flow. Use the method everyone talks about, track a classified rock 1/2" or 1/4" dia and allow up to 15 to 20 seconds for the sluice to do its work and the rock to clear. Look for the "Vee" in the center of the sluice that is discussed all the time in the forum. You can use this "Vee" to help start setting level side to side as well. To set level side to side, very important or you will get one side of the box filling up and you may lose gold. You will be able to tell level side to side by watching the material and make sure it is equal side to side. Other than that it is a pretty awesome unit. Oh and if yours still has the parting agent that they use when they mold it, that will come off as you use the unit. You may what to purchase a rectangular bucket, as the end of this unit will not fit into the typical 5 gallon bucket. I picked up the blue pail from Home Depot as other have recommended, It really is a recyclable waste basket that is plastic. Fits fine. I had happy fingers wanting to put my fingers in the box and help clear the material clear, do not do this. LOL For some reason it is cool listening to the material run thru the sluice, sounds like MONEY!!!! I would also add that you should run about 1 1/2" to 2" of water thru the sluice. Otherwise if you are not deep enough you create a rapids affect and that is not desired. Good Luck!

Leonard F.

Feb 11, 2013
Arvada, CO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
bswanney,

I grew up near Omaha. Just curious where you prospect, if in fact you are still in Omaha.

I picked up the AM Boss a few weeks ago. Will be heading up to Clear Creek north of Golden just as soon as conditions allow.

Last edited:

bswanney

Oct 12, 2012
Omaha, NE
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yea, still in Omaha. You can go south an hour or so for the Glacier gold. Small mining at best, LOL. Still color. Most people look for Mountain streams we look for Terminal Moraines. Thier is a string of these running from SW Nebraska down into Missouri. Their is a small group of us that get out, I just joined them, this will be first year and will have our first outting this weekend. Expecting flowing water, frozen ground and some snow banks. Still time on the river.

OP
OP
ejimbo4

ejimbo4

Jan 7, 2013
Martin,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dang! Supposed to be 74* here in Georgia on Saturday! First outting of the year and my first outting with a group ever and I am really looking forwardto hooking up with some people that I can learn from!

bswanney

Oct 12, 2012
Omaha, NE
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ejimbo4 you would have learned everything I told you this weekend then. Your group will teach you everything you will need to know. We are expecting 40 ish and 15-20 mh north winds. Should be cold. The group hunt is the bomb. I'm debating coveralls or just the carhart jacket and thermal underwear. With luck I got some thermal boots from Santa this year. Going to stop at Harbor Freight for the 24" neophene gloves, and will purchse liners that astro**** discussed. I'm already out on a loss that I can not recover in gold. LOL Hunting for gold in Nebraska is kind of like the fall when the cattle are put out in the corn field and they search for the corn cobs that the combine dropped. You know the cattle are looking for the gold stuff too, but they are smarter they know it is going to be their. Someone else that you want to follow on the forum is I believe "KevininColorado". He discusses the AM sluice and the bazooka. I have them both based on his advertisment, will try the bazooka this weekend for the first time. Good Luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
ejimbo4

ejimbo4

Jan 7, 2013
Martin,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep I watch all of kevin's posts.....very informative!I got into this in early January and it was in the 20's when I was getting in the creeks down here and couldn't get anyone to come out and show me what I needed to know. But I got it figured out enough with a lot of research,youtube and google that I can happily say that I have found at least a little every time I hit a creek and I try to go out at least three times a week! Once I hit a crevice and did really nice for just startin out. My wife thinks I have lost my mind but she still supports me......she says she just likes to see me smile and that yellow stuff does that! LMAO! Few days ago was the first time I was able to take the rubber gloves off and actually feel the pan as I work.....good feeling!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gosh, thanks for the nice words guys!

Great to read of your initial successes too...my wife thinks I'm sort of crazy too but she says I'm happier when I've been out on the creek for an hour or two so it's all good by her. (I am lucky to have spots near by that are worth digging!)

I was out for an hour or two after work today...in the creek until dusk which turned into a bit of a mistake: in the dusky light I didn't see the edge of my hole, or a loose rock on the creek bottom, or something. Anyway I ended up sitting down suddenly in my 2foot deep hole LOL! What a wet way to end the outing! Loads of fun right?! For sure. And good gold too :D

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions