Just remembering

bobr

May 17, 2006
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
This dates me, but I remember when I was a paperboy back in the '60s and collected every week. Lots of bills but lots of change also. I looked through it to check for coins for my collection, but that's all. Now I'm into coin roll hunting and I think of all the silver that passed through my hands back then. Back to the Bank!

Upvote 0

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
People don't often realize what they have when they have it, and how much it might be worth some day. Following is a conversation my dad and I had (he's 59).
"Hey Dad, did you collect baseball cards back in the 50s?"
"Oh yeah, I had quite a collection!"
"Any Mickey Mantles?"
"Oh yeah!"
"Rockie season??"
"Yeah, probably..."
"What happened to them all??"
"Oh, my mom probably threw them out years ago..."
And that's the end of that. :P

J

jblavit

And also, if everyone saved those rookie micky mantle cards they would not be worth anything because they would not be rare.

hikerdude

Jan 31, 2013
Palmdale, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2200 Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This dates me, but I remember when I was a paperboy back in the '60s and collected every week. Lots of bills but lots of change also. I looked through it to check for coins for my collection, but that's all. Now I'm into coin roll hunting and I think of all the silver that passed through my hands back then. Back to the Bank!

I had a paper route in the 50's. I remember those Walking Liberty, and Ben Franklin Halfs, and all those Mercury Dimes, and even the Standing Liberty Quarters. All of the pennies were wheat back then. I collected some coins in the books, but I ended up spending them way back then, when the silver coins were worth just their face value. That's why I love finding silver coins so much today. This month I've found two mercury dime pocket spills, twice. In three years, I've found 298 silver coins, and I've keep every one of them.
HH everyone

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
In the '60's gramma gave my brother and I silver dimes. We walked uptown and bought gum and candy.
Later, I was about 15 and gramma worked at the post office, gramma saved the mercs that came in and gave 'em to me. \ I got Ike dollars for birthdays when I was a kid.

Grandpa had a box that mystified the collector in me. Gold Indian, paper money, etc,
I sold the mercs later, blah

I sure miss gramma and gramps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread