Just sayin Howdy

cowboy357

Jan 7, 2010
South Central KS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 1V & Tractor when needed
Howdy , I just found this site again after several years . I joined quite awhile back before but couldn,t remember my info . First off thanks to Ya,ll for the great info & forum . Spellin & grammer are not my strong points so hopefully thats not a big issue here as other forums I belong to , if so I,ll appologize right now . I normally type like I talk so this will be my best post as I,m tryin to do the best I can .

I,ve never had a metal detector , but allways been interested in them . I,m retired now & the wife & I have a place that has a lot of history behind it ( 15 acres ) . Weve been here for quite a few years & I have done a lot of dirtwork & such as well as tearing out old foundations , & doing a lot of digging & leveling along the river that runs through the back of our property .

I,m sure I,ve allready Dug & buried things I wished I wouldn,t have . But now I,m wanting to be a little more thorough , & still have a few untouched outbuldings & lots of ground that might or might not hold interesting items . So if Anyone could steer me in the right direction as far as a decent detector that might help Me I would be very thankfull .

I,ve done a lot of reading since I found this place again & just sighned back up a few days ago . So thanks again for a great site & looking forward to Maybe even sharing any thing interesting I find . Thanks , Bob (AKA) CB

Attachments

• P3140002.JPG
    P3140002.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 603
K

Kentucky Kache

Welcome back to the forum. I would suggest any detector with good size coil (10-12 inches). I'm partial to White's brand, but there are many good brands out there. There are a lot of detector experts here, so I'm sure you'll get some good advice. Again, welcome back.
...Love that tractor. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
cowboy357

cowboy357

Jan 7, 2010
South Central KS
Detector(s) used
Kentucky Kache said:
Welcome back to the forum. I would suggest any detector with good size coil (10-12 inches). I'm partial to White's brand, but there are many good brands out there. There are a lot of detector experts here, so I'm sure you'll get some good advice. Again, welcome back.

Thanks for the welcome & the compliment KK . I found a Minelab XS with all of the accerories NIB for $675.oo Locally on CL . He says He only used it once . It looks & sounds awefully complicated to me . Can You tell me about the one you have , Cost , What it will find & how complicated to use ? I,m looking for simple cuz I dont do well with fancy gadgets, lol .

Also there are several dumpsites on the property which might make it harder to find anything other then junk . But I,m wanting to search other areas where I have disturbed the ground as well as a celler & an old well . Any info would be appreciated . Thanks . Bob

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Howdy Cowboy, welcome to T-Net. :hello:

My suggestions for a metal detector would be, get something easy to start with. I Like the Tesoros but there are many good units available. I would get the silver u-max or cibola. Both are good machines and easy to get started. Turn them on, set your disc. to minimum with sensitivity about 6 or 7 and dig everything that beeps. You will soon start hearing the differences in the beeps for trash vs goodies. You can also thumb the disc. for a target to id. it before you dig. If the areas you plan to hunt are very trashy, then be sure and get the 5.75" coil. I use it more than the stock coil.

As for those items you have already buried, looks like you have the equipment to dig them back out. :wink:

Good Luck
Randy

OP
OP
cowboy357

cowboy357

Jan 7, 2010
South Central KS
Detector(s) used
RPG said:

My suggestions for a metal detector would be, get something easy to start with. I Like the Tesoros but there are many good units available. I would get the silver u-max or cibola. Both are good machines and easy to get started. Turn them on, set your disc. to minimum with sensitivity about 6 or 7 and dig everything that beeps. You will soon start hearing the differences in the beeps for trash vs goodies. You can also thumb the disc. for a target to id. it before you dig. If the areas you plan to hunt are very trashy, then be sure and get the 5.75" coil. I use it more than the stock coil.

As for those items you have already buried, looks like you have the equipment to dig them back out. :wink:

Good Luck
Randy

Thanks for the welcome & the advice Randy . I found those online & they seem to be more like what i,m looking for . One more really stupid question , can they be used for locating arrowheads or other artifacts or just metals only . Like I said I,m really new to this . Thanks again , Bob

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
cowboy357 said:
RPG said:

Good Luck
Randy

Thanks for the welcome & the advice Randy . I found those online & they seem to be more like what i,m looking for . One more really stupid question , can they be used for locating arrowheads or other artifacts or just metals only . Like I said I,m really new to this . Thanks again , Bob

I wish they would find artifacts. I love collecting those too. :D

Unfortunately they will only find metal. But they do this very well. Forgot to say, they also come with a lifetime warranty. :thumbsup:

There is a metal detector forum here on T-Net for all the different manufacturers. There's a lot of good info. there and lots of people willing to help. Deciding on a detector can be very confusing but the best thing you can do is research what you want and buy it. No matter what you decide to go with, give it time and learn it. Once you learn the machine it will be the best for you.

K

Kentucky Kache

cowboy357 said:
Kentucky Kache said:

Thanks for the welcome & the compliment KK . I found a Minelab XS with all of the accerories NIB for $675.oo Locally on CL . He says He only used it once . It looks & sounds awefully complicated to me . Can You tell me about the one you have , Cost , What it will find & how complicated to use ? I,m looking for simple cuz I dont do well with fancy gadgets, lol .

Also there are several dumpsites on the property which might make it harder to find anything other then junk . But I,m wanting to search other areas where I have disturbed the ground as well as a celler & an old well . Any info would be appreciated . Thanks . Bob

I use a White's Classic ID. Two knobs. ;D
The drawback is, you have to use a large coil to get good depth. And as RPG said, with trashy ground, you will need a smaller coil, or else dig lots of trash to get to the good stuff.

OP
OP
cowboy357

cowboy357

Jan 7, 2010
South Central KS
Detector(s) used
Thanks again Guys , I found the forum that has all the info on the different brands . A ton of info to go thru but Noticed the bounty hunters might not be bad for a starter md , Plus my wife can pick me up one locally & i can at least get used to how it works .

Then she can have it & I can get a better one ;D . I,m really liking the ones you both mentioned , mainlly for the ease of use . Anyway I just wanted to thank both of you again & best of luck to Ya,ll . Hopefully I,ll have some small finds to share elsewhere on the forums soon , More then likelly wont be near as exciting as i,ve seen so far posted though . Bob

OP
OP
cowboy357

cowboy357

Jan 7, 2010
South Central KS
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the welcome plehbah . I,m hoping to find something , I dont care about value really .

But I,ve allways had a feeling theres something very old & interesting along the river bank if not elsewhere on the property . Every time I,ve dug a bucket of dirt out I,ve tried to sift through it . But I,m sure I could have missed a lot of things . I,m looking forward to searching at least with a MD . Hopefully I,ll be able to post something as interesting as everyone else has . Bob

OP
OP
cowboy357

cowboy357

Jan 7, 2010
South Central KS
Detector(s) used
Sorry for the double post Folks . I just wanted to say Thanks again to everyone here . My wife got Me a bounty hunter tracker 1V yesterday & a case of batteries ;D .

It was about the only thing she could find locally & probanlly could have got it cheaper elsewhere , but I dint think 135 bucks was bad & I wanted one Right now :laughing7: . It seems simple enough for me to use which is what I was after since i,m really new to this . I tested it out & was perty happy with how it works . I,m officially hooked & going to order the 10" & 4" coil .

As I had said I just want it to search our own property . I tryed it out & allthough I didn,t find anything neat . I did find a piece of old rusty steel about 10 inches down . Looks to be part of an old hinge or something . No big deal but it was fun none the less . Now I have to get used to the settings & hopefully will be posting some pics soon in todays finds . ;D . Thanks again , Bob

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:wave: Bob

You should start finding many farm relics & stuff now, just make sure you go through all that dirt you moved around with the front end loader.

welcome53 (2).jpg

Attachments

• welcome53 (2).jpg
    welcome53 (2).jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 402

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9:Love that "Diggin tool" ya got. I gotta get me one o'them. Does it come in a submersable version? :notworthy:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And howdy back to you, Cowboy357. I see you got a rig already. I'm kinda partial to White's, because the first good detector I got was a White's Coinmaster Classic I bought at a pawnshop for a hundred dollars. It paid for itself many times over. I saved up and got a high dollar DFX which I'm still learnin but is pretty good. Takin the metal detector out when you go hunt arrowheads might not make sense at first. You might be findin points from the pre-Colombian era, but a good campsite is a good campsite, and will be recognized as such and occupied down through the ages, from Folsom man to modern RV'ers, possibly. Plus you have a lot of historic Plains Indian sites in Kansas which could contain metal trade goods, or even metal items captured during encounters with early Spanish or French explorers. Good luck and be sure and post some of your finds for us to be jealous of.

OP
OP
cowboy357

cowboy357

Jan 7, 2010
South Central KS
Detector(s) used
:hello: Thanks again River Rat , White Feather , & RGINN for the welcome . I will certainlly go back over everything I dug or moved with the tractor RR ,

This is my 3rd day getting used to the detector & right now I,m waiting for the price of tinfoil to go up . :laughing7:

White Feather , You,d be surprised of how close I,ve been at my tractor being a submersable model when I was working down around the river banks :o .

RGINN , Yes I had my wife get me the bounty hunter , I was in a hurry after rejoining this forum & seein what ya,ll have found , I just wanted to get started & figured that would get me by for the time being .

As some others mentioned here about the white & a few other brands My wife couldn,t find them locally so went with the BH & so far I,m happy with the one I have . I really dont have plans on hunting anywhere else other then our property , I,m pretty much a hermit you might say . I dont drive & haven,t left our property for going on 7 years By My choice . ;D .

Sorry I tend to ramble on , but I,m looking forward to searching around the river banks I,ve been removing dirt from for years & yes every bucketfull I have checked as good as I could by hand . But I,m sure theres plenty of stuff to keep it interesting for me . & I wont post anything untill I think its interesting for others . Thanks again . Bob

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I am from your neighbor hood. You have found a great forum with lots of information. A great hobby for sure. Welcome and good luck.
Burdie

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net! Excavation is the best way to reach deep old coins...take off the surface dirt, detect both where you removed the dirt from, and then the dirt that was removed also. Happy T'Hing! :coffee2:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bounty Hunter's a good brand there, big Bob. I understand about the hermit thing. I lived in a teepee due to the divorce for about 6 years and never went much of nowhere I couldn't walk to. I got a good wife now and we're still the same way as we never come down out of the mountains much. Best of luck to you.

OP
OP
cowboy357

cowboy357

Jan 7, 2010
South Central KS
Detector(s) used
:hello: Thanks again Burdie , Red_desert , RGINN for the welcome . Also thanks River Rat for the heads up on the group hunt that Burdie has put together it really would be a great get together & would be nice to meet a lot of You folks in person . :thumbsup:

After reading the 6 page thread about it & seeing all the great pics , I feel like I know many of you allready & I have to say what a great group of people here . Makes Me wish I wasn,t a hermit these days .

RGINN , I here Ya , I started out not leaving the property for security reasons & I like my privacy & now I,ve got so used to it I,m not sure I could leave if I wanted to . I,m not a big fan of things changing & from what My wife tells me I problly wouldn,t like a lot of the things thats changed around the whole area We,ve lived Our entire lives . :dontknow: .

The citys limits keep getting closer all the time & theres high dollar houses going up all over entirelly to close for My comfort :o . Luckilly were surrounded by farmground & hopefully it will stay that way untill were gone . Anyway I just wanted to thank Ya,ll again . Maybe someday I,ll change & have a chance to get in on one of the group hunts . Sure looks like fun . Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread