Just simply a rock or??

A

Audozer

I found this today in the middle of a field in the central San Joaquin valley of California among broken obsidian chunks and flakes scattered here and there. No there's no doubt it was brought to this location by man my question is is it an Indian artifact or a modern chunk of nothing that just happened to get dropped here. There is absolutely no natural rock here, no natural obsidian, no nothing but silt and weeds.The shape makes me think that it was possibly used by the Native Americans in the area at one time or another but I don't have the experience necessary to deem this thing just another rock. On a sidenote, I have found points in the area and within half a mile of where I found this. Something else to consider, this was found in the middle of a field where there was never any modern man-made structure or anything other than farm equipment for that matter. There are fresh scars on it from being struck by a disk maybe more than once but beyond that I haven't found any obvious influences to its shape due to farm equipment. I will patiently await the first post that clearly points out that it's just a rock but if it's something other than that I would sure like to know

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536548127.767226.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536548146.305614.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536548167.925039.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536548188.039310.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1536548204.121053.jpg

Upvote 0

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good to me. You might even consider probing the area, because it's not too farfetched for it to be the first of a cache of blades to finally be snagged and brought to the surface, judging from the implement strikes being parallel to each other.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a nice piece ... I found one that would have probably beeen that big but the top was broken .... but has a very similar base and flaking

OP
OP
A

Audozer

Thanks everyone for the replies, this was my first trip to this particular field and it won't be my last. Pretty tough to find someone to give permission to walk their fields looking for artifacts around there only because folks are afraid of you finding burial grounds on their property. Happens quite a bit and it turns into quite a hassle for the farmer. I have a few sites in mind that I'd really like to search but can't get the green light from the property owners

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like what I would call a spade or a hoe.Good find.

I agree with this
Woodland hoes look just like that in my area I have found a couple just dont post them due to they just dont show much work mainly on the edges only
Nice find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread