Just started reading this forum... Question?

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clad 2 meet u said:
I'm wondering what most of you do with your "keeper" coins? Do you keep for your collection?, sell on ebay?, sell for scrap? Seems like a very interesting and exciting hobby.

Thanks,

Greg

For now I keep almost everything, and sell a few here and there.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just started this year so I have all of mine yet. Plan is to hold on to them for a while and hope that silver skyrockets! ;D.....Then , Sell

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Clad 2 meet u said:
I'm wondering what most of you do with your "keeper" coins? Do you keep for your collection?, sell on ebay?, sell for scrap? Seems like a very interesting and exciting hobby.

Thanks,

Greg

Yes, yes, yes, and finally- YES!

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I have only found two silver and ten or so wheaties. I plan on keeping them unless I find something worth around $1000.00 then it is DFX or SE time baby.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I keep them. I had to sell my first gold ring and I regret it. I am not in the hobby to make money. The finds are more important to me as keepsake treasures.

OP
OP
Clad 2 meet u

Clad 2 meet u

May 7, 2007
Algonac Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro (land) CZ20 (water)
Thanks for the responses everyone. I think I might give this a try someday real soon, that is if I can break this nasty metal detecting habit I have ;)

Wishing you all good luck!

Greg

halfhunt

Jul 20, 2007
I think you would enjoy it even if you did it on occasion or even a box a week, even if you don't find anything its still fun waiting for the mother lode. Good luck!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a long time ago I was a Collector,
but now I just hold on to what I can't sell.

I don't miss the coins I sell because
I just Figure one of these days,
I'll find another to take a look at.

And IF I don't someone else here will
and I'll live through them for a Little :P

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clad 2 meet u said:
Thanks for the responses everyone. I think I might give this a try someday real soon, that is if I can break this nasty metal detecting habit I have ;)

Wishing you all good luck!

Greg

You will find the majority of folks here who CRH also MD. We are multi tasking!! LOL

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clad 2 meet u said:
I think I might give this a try someday real soon, that is if I can break this nasty metal detecting habit I have
That is the problem, I did not break the MD habit first. Once I started CRHing that addiction took over. I found more silver coins in my first box than I found in my entire 3-4 years of metal detecting and one of those was a 1935 Walking Liberty half.

CRHing took over and MDing kind of went to the side of the road. >:(

$CUERVOJ

Jul 29, 2007
TEXAS
Hello again I am new to this also. I am sure this question has been asked before but I couldnt find it.
Where would you sell the silver coins once you have accumulated say 500 silver coins. I have heards its about 12.50 per ounce. How much is that per coin? Will the local coin shop buy that many coins at once? It just sounds to easy. How would the coin shop make their $$[/glow]? Thanks for your time. ??? ;D

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
The coin shop pays less than the spot price of the silver in the coins. The other day I sold some 40 percent silver coins for 3x face value. At 13 dollars spot price, this means the silver content was worth $1.92. He paid me $1.50. This covers his cost for shipping, sitting on them until he has enough to send in, his markup or what he wants to make on the deal and any fluctuation in the spot price. He may still lose on the deal even though he technically "made" 42 cents per coin.

I'm still happy because I made 3x my investment. He's happy cause he made money too, hopefully. Win-win. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread