Just started searching in Tx.

stringplucker

May 22, 2010
virginia beach
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After moving close to San Antonio from the east coast last year I dropped the Metal Detector and started looking for Native American artifacts. I've always been a rock hound but this is even more fun! This material is the result of my first few outings on a friends small property. My inexperienced thoughts are that the big rock to the left was a hand chopper, white rock to the left of that is an example of pecking?, the small blade in the middle is sharp on all 4 sides, the 4 sided stone beside the chopper maybe a hammer stone. The top right grey stone has a divot in it but may be just a stone? The rest are either preforms or debitage? OR They could all just be rocks and my imagination is as wild as everyone says it is. lol I can post better pics of individual rocks if needed but I was wondering if I could get opinions on these? I hope your having a great day!
AAIndA.jpg

Upvote 3

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Hard to say from one photo angle. I see one that might have been worked on the edge(near the center of the pic). I see another that might be debitage or a preform. I hate to say “rock” when I can’t see the other side. Good luck and keep searching!
By the way, I live to metal detect, but I too have been a Rock Junky for decades. I love to walk creeks, or field edges. I look for artifacts, but I’m truly happy just to find cool specimens. I’m starting a rock garden this year to give some of my finds a little exposure.

OP
OP
stringplucker

stringplucker

May 22, 2010
virginia beach
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to say from one photo angle. I see one that might have been worked on the edge(near the center of the pic). I see another that might be debitage or a preform. I hate to say “rock” when I can’t see the other side. Good luck and keep searching!
By the way, I live to metal detect, but I too have been a Rock Junky for decades. I love to walk creeks, or field edges. I look for artifacts, but I’m truly happy just to find cool specimens. I’m starting a rock garden this year to give some of my finds a little exposure.
Lets have a closer look.
20230507_181359.jpg
20230507_181406.jpg
20230507_181413.jpg
20230507_180959.jpg

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SE Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Possible hammer stone next to big chunk on left (white piece). The one you have several pictures of could be a utilized flake; a flake blade. Wouldn't mind seeing more pictures of the one on the far right. Everything else looks like debitage and some worked stone but not necessarily any tools. Good thing is it looks like your in a good area.

plehbah2

May 8, 2023
Colorado mountains
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, XP Deus II
It is tempting to assign a function to the fragments we find, but sometimes that is not possible. Your best bet would be to look at use wear on the edges under a microscope.

The individual piece you included close up photos of is interesting, and certainly utilized. It looks to me like both edges were used probably for cutting duty. Your fingers are obscuring the striking platform, but the dorsal surface looks like it shows flake scars like that flake was taken off of a biface of some kind. I would rather have it in hand because the color of the stone obscures the flaking patterns a bit, but it bears some similarity to a channel flake removal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread