Just starting out & looking for advice

wolverine300

Dec 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

I'm Matt from Indiana. My family and I go down to Sarasota, Florida every summer for the past 20 years. Yet, I'm just now looking to get into the metal detecting hobby while I'm there.

Can anyone give me some experienced advice on what make/model of metal detector is best for a beginner like myself? I'm looking for something on the $150 or less side, if possible, considering I'll only be using it for no more than 2 weeks a year (at least on a beach). Thanks everybody!

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
garrett ace 150, tesoro compadre or the fisher f2,for the beach you would have to turn the sensitivity down.
all three are the best in that price range period.good luck.

OP
OP
W

wolverine300

Dec 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, bevo. I already started doing the research on those 3. Wish me luck!

webatch

Nov 4, 2012
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X-80
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wolverine you can detect in Indiana as well...

I'm a newbie but have come up with a list of places to search that will take me a few years to get thru. I just need / want some hunting partners.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You won't be able to get out into the water or wet sand. But any of the detector's mentioned will do fine on dry sand. Personally I'd suggest going with a Tesoro for one specific reason...it's the lightest of the machines mentioned. (Though all are fairly lightweight.) I'm guessing you'll be spending hours each day on the beach and after that amount of time even a few ounces can make a huge difference. You should also look into the used market for your budget. There are a ton of great used machines out there. You'll also need a sand scoop. The handle on my scoop attaches at two points. So I've put a hook on it that clips onto my belt in between finds.

Oh and if you fly...take the batteries out of your MD. Nothing like getting questioned at the airport about why your bag is beeping.

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
no prob wolvie

bobby4

Dec 30, 2012
texas
Detector(s) used
fisher f2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i agree with bevo, on the fisher f2 im not sure on the other machines ive personally never owned but i just got the fisher f2 and over all its a great machine i dont have any complants i enjoy it on my first day out on my fisher f2 i found a sterling silver ring,

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome ! Good advice from these guys. Beach hunting is much fun and relaxing. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread