Just starting out

mills84

Mar 3, 2012
Costa Mesa, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been reading about coin roll hunting for a few months now and wanted to give it a try.

I picked up 2 boxes from my credit union about a month ago, but no luck. After slowly depositing those coins at a different bank's branches, I decided to give it another try and picked up 2 more boxes today. One of the boxes was a skunk, but I finally hit silver on the other one! :)

4 x 40%, 2 x 90% - (1) 1962, (1) 1964, (1) 1966, (1) 1967, (1) 1968, (1) 1969.

Vp0Xa.jpg

3 or 4 of the coins from a few of the rolls were covered in nail polish (including the 1969), which makes me think I got a potion of someone's dumped collection. Does this indicate the coins tend to stay together in rough groups? It was my impression that dumps/deliveries eventually end up in large pools of coins and mix a little better than that.

Also, from what I've been reading, 1-2 keepers per box is about average. Is this correct?

My boxes were from a credit union in Santa Ana, CA, if anyone keeps track of that type of information.

Happy hunting,

- Mills

Upvote 0

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds, I've only gone through one box myself and it was pretty uneventful. I got one 40%er out of it. I have had way more luck with CWR rather than MWR. So I would say give those a shot. My lucky bank is near Santa Ana, but I can't tell you which one it is, sorry. :wink:

(p.s. I have hit a few banks in Santa Ana in the last few days and have had decent luck)

HH

OP
OP
M

mills84

Mar 3, 2012
Costa Mesa, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha no worries about the trade secrets, just glad to see someone else from the area on here.

Yeah, I haven't had great luck with the tellers having any CWRs or loose halves yet, so I've been ordering the boxes. I can see how the odds would be better on CWRs though. I've actually had a little resistance to ordering the boxes for me at the credit union (depending on the teller), but they seem to be going along with it. I might have to branch out and find another supply bank to keep a lower profile, even though I'm only ordering about once a month.

Thanks for the tips!

I'm dumping at Chase branches in Costa Mesa, by the way.

- Mills

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
mills84 said:
Haha no worries about the trade secrets, just glad to see someone else from the area on here.

Yeah, I haven't had great luck with the tellers having any CWRs or loose halves yet, so I've been ordering the boxes. I can see how the odds would be better on CWRs though. I've actually had a little resistance to ordering the boxes for me at the credit union (depending on the teller), but they seem to be going along with it. I might have to branch out and find another supply bank to keep a lower profile, even though I'm only ordering about once a month.

Thanks for the tips!

I'm dumping at Chase branches in Costa Mesa, by the way.

- Mills

NO WONDER!! I've been skunked in Costa Mesa, haven't found a single silver there. I usually dump my coins at a couple different banks, they are in Garden Grove.

Just another tip, I've yet to find a single silver dime in our area, and I've searched a few hundred dollars worth. Like I said though, halves have been good to me.

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
justicious said:
Lol fighting over hunting grounds :hello2:

haha no, no fighting, just figuring out were other people dump. No sense in going to someones dump bank. haha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread