Just take care of it and it'll last a long time.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took this as I was going through the sleepy town of Naturita, Colorado. Over the years I got to be involved in two upswings in the price of uranium, as there are many uranium mines all over this region. Seems some folks hold out for the next time the prices go up for years. These old timers around here hold claims that pay them enough to weather many years through the down times. You just don't go off spending it all on new trucks, boats and all that other stuff a fella thinks he needs during those slow times or really ever if what you got still works. One uranium company I was dealing with when the price was up was leasing claims from this one old fella I've come to know over the years and the fella with the mining company in charge of all expenditure of the several uranium mines they were leasing from this fella told me, I'm not going to tell you what we pay that guy each month to mine his claims, but the checks we write him would blow your mind, because it's a lot of money we give him to mines his claims he's held on for the last 40 + years. Could be this old guy in front of me in this little one horse town is a millionaire??. He just doesn't think he needs a new truck anytime soon. When did they stop making Studebaker pickups :dontknow:

Attachments

• naturita 092916.jpg
    naturita 092916.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 61

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. They stopped in December 1963. Your story reminds me of an old black fellow my daughter's mom worked with on Tinker Air Force base in OKC back in the late 80's. He drove an old 1930's ( sorry but I have forgotten the exact model ) Ford Coupe. I would watch him go out to crank it to start it and asked him one day when he was going to buy a new car. He looked at me and said " Why? It still runs." :laughing7:. He was very serious too as if I was a frivolous young man:dontknow:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those old Studebaker six cylinders were pretty reliable as long as you took care of them. I worked for an elder farmer man who used a roll of toilet paper as an oil filter in his Studebaker. It ran just fine.

ironman123

Sep 1, 2016
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400 w/DD Coil.
Nokta Makro Legend Pro Pak w/11" and 6" Coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good story from past.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Those old Studebaker six cylinders were pretty reliable as long as you took care of them. I worked for an elder farmer man who used a roll of toilet paper as an oil filter in his Studebaker. It ran just fine.

I remember way back, reading in Popular Mechanics magazine, they showed how you could use a roll of toilet paper for an oil filter. Never tried it though.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool. I used to see old farmers in Oklahoma drivin around with a broom stuck in that bed railing like this guy has. I asked one about it and he said it was for in case they broke down his wife could ride to town for help. I been noticing another thing too here in Colorado in lots of little towns. They may not have much of anything but they will have a Family Dollar store.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indeed, those family dollar stores have popped up in just about every little town in the last five years or so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread