Just want to rave.

Aussie

Nov 2, 2009
It's the brands section so I just want to rave about the sovereign GT.
Firstly I need to say I've never held any other detector in my hand, but having said that and from what I read I really don't think I need to.
In a short time I learned what the tones were telling me, kinda like a lab rat that knows it gets a reward at the right noise. In discrimination mode at any setting, lead and aluminum will make your ears bleed with a decent set of headphones. And when you go over a coin, it's days " cooiiiiiin"
That's what it sounds like!
On the beach it is fantastic, even in auto.
I purchased mine in Australia and used to work the beaches, we have dollar coins there and I swear I had enough in two hours to buy a box of beer. I'm now in Kentucky far from the ocean and sand and it works great to find me all the beer pulls and crappy cents that are in my yard. Just need to get some permission from someone and I'm sure I will come up with a nice civil war buckle that I will wear everyday.
I'm sad that the sov gt is gone, it's a great machine. End of rant.

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705; Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aussie, I agree with you, I purchased a sov back in the day, felt like I could almost find coins all the way to China with it, but hard times came along & had to sell it...sad day.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is my favorite detector still to this day! I sold my first GT and had sellers remorse from day one. I will never sell the 2 GT's I bought after finding them when they were supposedly "all gone". The balance of the straight shaft, audio tones, the ability to pick goodies out of trash never cease to amaze me! I have a spare Ron's 180 if you need one. I recently purchased a 5x10 TreasureSeeker coil from Coiltek for relic hunting in deep woods and really like it. It has a solid bottom which keeps stubble from hanging up in coil spokes and it fits in tight spots.

Best Regards,

Walt

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Aussie

Nov 2, 2009
Hey fletch, yeah I still have the sov and plan on using it more often. I must ask, what is the rons 180?

OP
OP
A

Aussie

Nov 2, 2009
Disregard that fletch, just googled what a Ron's 180 is. I'm pretty comfortable with the sov tones and have got quite good at what is underneath, almost enjoy saying, yep this is going to be an OLDER pull tab. Lol
But after reading so many posts on this site, I'm convinced that you really should dig just about everything, especially when you have given up for the day and are heading back to the truck. That's when you get the good stuff. Lol

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey fletch, yeah I still have the sov and plan on using it more often. I must ask, what is the rons 180?
Ron's 180 is an inline meter between the coil and control that gives number on an LCD screen when you get a target signal to give you an idea of what's below the coil. It does not give any other info, depth is still decided on more by sound. They are very accurate, most times better than newer machines and without any lag time.

Pm sent

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disregard that fletch, just googled what a Ron's 180 is. I'm pretty comfortable with the sov tones and have got quite good at what is underneath, almost enjoy saying, yep this is going to be an OLDER pull tab. Lol But after reading so many posts on this site, I'm convinced that you really should dig just about everything, especially when you have given up for the day and are heading back to the truck. That's when you get the good stuff. Lol

Yes, I use it about half the time usually. The machine feels cleaner and lighter without it, even though the meter weighs almost nothing. I agree with just digging almost all that's not foil or bits of iron, you will be pleasantly surprised many times.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread