Just wanted to say hello.....

K

knotimpaired

Hi,

My name is Karen and I moved to the island of Vieques a little over a year ago from the Chesapeake Bay area.

For the past year I have spent most of it beachcombing, mostly finding beautiful beach glass and chaney. I would like to expand to metal detecting but have to be careful as to the unit I buy. Until May of 2003 Vieques was a live bombing range with many stray shells and we still have unexploded artillery. Most of these areas are closed but strays have been known to be found in civilian areas. Another concern that I have is since I am an infant at this I am hoping that reading previous posts and advice from the members on the board will help me choose the right detector. I am looking for a waterproof unit but one that can differentiate between plutonium, steel, iron, etc and get to the core of it i.e. gold, silver, copper, etc.

Vieques was a haven for pirates particularilly a PR pirate named Roberto Cofresi. There are many rumours on the island of his buried treasure but then every island has those rumors, don't they.

I am also wondering if anyone knows what types of stones were commanly used for ballast in the spanish galleons.

On an endnote, I have downloaded over a hundred old maps from 1506-1850's from various sources that show the original names of most of the islands from the Bahamas through the Caribbean if anyone would like me to look up and obscure name or spelling.

Cheers,

Karen

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Karen.

? ?You picked a Great Site For Research.

? ?there are alot of Very Knowledgeable & Helpfull People here.

? ?On a good waterproof unit, I would suggest you look into
A "Minelab Excalibur"

? ? Of Course there are Others Also, But I'm a Minelab Fan Myself? :)

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?J? ?E? ?F? ?F

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
Welcome to the forum Karen! I don't have any advice on type of MD to get as I'm pretty new at this myself. Just wanted to say hi and say that I'm glad to see another female grab onto this hobby. It's so much fun!

vicki

BRD

Mar 26, 2004
Karen,
Welcome to an excellent forum. Land machines I could advise you on, but living a hundred miles from the nearest beach, I'm not that familiar with water machines. Don't despair, you chose a site with a lot of knowledgeable people on it and you will get some good input I'm sure. When you get a detector, have patience and learn what it is telling you. You sound like a person that will really love this hobby. Best of luck and keep us posted.
BRD (in Texas)

W

Wolf_Lover

Hello ALL IM "NEW" Here

Well I have been reading the postings here for a couple of days now. And I got to say that I am VERY IMPRESSED.
What a great group off people here. Im from Michigan. Around Detroit . I have Visited GARRETTs Metal Detector Web Site.
And I have Decided On getting the (Garrett Ace 250 Detector) I have read great reviews On this Metal Detector.
This will be my first M.D. And I have allready checked for a club in my area & there is one . The MICHIGAN TREASURE HUNTERS . http://www.ross-soderberg.com/phpBB2/portal.php. I have allways wanted to get into this hobby for years.
But NOW im finally at a point in my life to where I can. I don't have a lot of money. (But we all need more lol) But I get by
Like we all do in this world. With hard work & Respect. I won't be able to get my MD till the first week in May :-[ .
But I will GET IT. And when I do you better believe I will be out there Hunting and showing my finds here. But I just wanted to say hello to you all . Great group of people here.

C

cbbrink

Welcome to the forums. Keep us posted on your finds.

Chuck

clump63

Mar 1, 2005
central Indiana
Welome and sounds like a great place for treasure hunting. Ask around for any clues about carvings and signs that would leed you to treasure. There are many good people on here that can give you great advise in your situations but please research the bomb thing because they are very dangerous to dig.

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
Karen and wolf lover, Welcome to the forum! Lot of good people and information here.

Karen as Jeff said Minelab makes a great water dectector the Excaliber. You might want to look for Rod or Floaters post and ask them what they think of theirs. Good luck and waiting to see posts of your finds when you decide which detector to get! HH 8)

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Welcome Karen. On a unit you described, best advice is to look over each of the different manufacture with underwater capability. Write down a possible question you might want to ask a manufacture and give them a call to find out if their unit is best suited for you. Do not settle on the first one and do not go with the cheapest unit either for you will wish later down the road you bought a more expensive unit. Good luck and keep us informed of your decision and of course your finds too.

OP
OP
K

knotimpaired

49er,

Thanks for the encouragement and advice as well as others. You hit it on the head when you advised to make sure I choose the right unit.

You are absolutely right in your suggestion that if I choose the wrong machine I would be upgrading in a short period of time. I have specific goals as to what I am looking for and what I do not want to find.

History is very important to me and not only would I like to find items for the thrill value but I also would like to get to know the culture of this island through MD'ing.

Thanks to all who have responded.

F

Floater

dudes2112 said:
It isn't common knowledge but there are actually two ways to spell welcome!

Dudes :-[

ROFLMA your killin me today Dudes. Welcome Knot and Wolf.
As you can see it is also a fun time for all

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Welcome, Karen. This is definitely one forum that can answer a lot of questions-we don't consider a question as dumb only slightly uninformed. That's how we learn. We also ask questions back to get a better understanding of what you're searching for. There are some metals more easily picked up with different types of machines-take uranium and plutonium for instance. Gold, silver, and copper are considered non-ferrus metals. So you want to find a machine that picks up ? HH

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
Welcome Karen, looks like you have your research down pat.This forum as has been said above is one great help.Look forward to your finds and post.HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread