• IMG_9450.jpeg
    IMG_9450.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh my.....yes, that is a "walk softly and leave the big stick on the porch", lest you get a brain fart and try to use it.
duel_zps6c3e0e17.gif

At this stage, I'd leave it be and wait til mid-winter to remove it.

OR, you could always........

nuke blacst.gif

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bald face hornets. They’ll be gone as soon as it gets colder. The workers all die at first frost and only the queens survive. The queen hibernates in leaves on the ground and won’t be in nest. Dealing with bees wasps and hornets is always better after dark. Get a can of wasp/hornet killer that shoots 10’ and soak nest at night. You can run them off with peppermint oil without killing them. Better yet, leave it alone until you get a good frost and you can remove nest and keep it. I have one hanging in my man cave.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bald face hornets. They’ll be gone as soon as it gets colder. The workers all die at first frost and only the queens survive. The queen hibernates in leaves on the ground and won’t be in nest. Dealing with bees wasps and hornets is always better after dark. Get a can of wasp/hornet killer that shoots 10’ and soak nest at night. You can run them off with peppermint oil without killing them. Better yet, leave it alone until you get a good frost and you can remove nest and keep it. I have one hanging in my man cave.
Great information
It’s amazing that they can make the nest so nicely woven

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had a nest of hornets in the ground, several years ago. They killed my dog while I was at work. She had a heavy, double coat and there were plenty of dead ones for evidence. She was around 80 lbs, not a little dog.
So sad to read my friend

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just foam spray it at night.
Raid has a 10-15ft foam spray available.
Check the ground for the dropped hornets before attempting to remove the nest.
I checked mine last night and the hornets were still active.
So another soaking is in order.
Best of luck with your new adventure Bill.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just foam spray it at night.
Raid has a 10-15ft foam spray available.
Check the ground for the dropped hornets before attempting to remove the nest.
I checked mine last night and the hornets were still active.
So another soaking is in order.
Best of luck with your new adventure Bill.
Thank you it’s amazing how they can weave that nest

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, they don't fly at night. A friend used to go at night and drop nest into a pillow case and drown them in his pond. Pepper is right, Raid at night. I used a CO2 fire extiguisher on one, worked great but a can of raid is a lot cheaper. Regarding fire, yeah it works. When I was a kid a neighbor had a nest like that on the side of his garage. He tossed some gasoline on it and lit it up. Garage caught fire and burned to the ground before fire dept could get there. Guy had a doctorate in psychology but little common sense.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, they don't fly at night. A friend used to go at night and drop nest into a pillow case and drown them in his pond. Pepper is right, Raid at night. I used a CO2 fire extiguisher on one, worked great but a can of raid is a lot cheaper. Regarding fire, yeah it works. When I was a kid a neighbor had a nest like that on the side of his garage. He tossed some gasoline on it and lit it up. Garage caught fire and burned to the ground before fire dept could get there. Guy had a doctorate in psychology but little common sense.
Thanks again
I’ll see how it goes …I’m being told here to keep my distance because if I screw up they can do some damage to me….they seem to like the yard as they had a identical one on a high branch of a tree in the back yard last year…

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a nest in the attic of my house years ago , I put a 5 gallon bucket of soapy water near the nest , hung a clamp on lamp to the top rim of bucket , after dark I plugged in the extension cord . the hornets were drawn to the bright light , hit the light and fell in the bucket of water. after 3 nights I no longer caught any and it was the end of them.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a nest in the attic of my house years ago , I put a 5 gallon bucket of soapy water near the nest , hung a clamp on lamp to the top rim of bucket , after dark I plugged in the extension cord . the hornets were drawn to the bright light , hit the light and fell in the bucket of water. after 3 nights I no longer caught any and it was the end of them.
Thank you it’s amazing how they can weave that nest
Well one half of me says get it done and be a hero and the other half of me says I could be ending up in the ER

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well one half of me says get it done and be a hero and the other half of me says I could be ending up in the ER
Take a walk on the wild side Bill, go out after dark-stand 10-15ft away-spray foam till nest is a ball of white foam.
Nothing is going to happen to you except feeling that inner chest beating pleasure of doing the deed. :laughing7:

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a walk on the wild side Bill, go out after dark-stand 10-15ft away-spray foam till nest is a ball of white foam.
Nothing is going to happen to you except feeling that inner chest beating pleasure of doing the deed. :laughing7:
Wow..I can feel my inner chest beating by just reading this
I’ll see what the boss thinks

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
be sure to wear your running shoes 🏃‍♂️ 🦟🦟🦟🦟
Yeah the price of good shoes is quite high these days
I just got a new pair for $210 plus $11 postage
For now the tree removal company will be here on the W/E to clean up the mess of a couple trees that got uprooted from the excessive amount of rain we got and then I’ll see about the hornets

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread