Just Wonderin How many silvers have you picked out of your change (past20yrs)?

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
In the last twenty years I have found about five or six silver roosies in my change, maybe one silver quarter. I found a lot more red EF wheaties, those dont get snatched up so quickly when the collection hits circulation after the "aquisition".

prowler53

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2012
Minersville, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The past 20 years? Not much at all. I think I found 1 quarter and a couple dimes. If you go back another 5 - 10 years I found quite a few. I was working
as a clerk at a beer and soda outlet, and you would not believe how many people would spend their coin collection to get some booze. I gathered quite a few
quarters and dimes dating around 1907-1927, 100's of wheat pennies, and I know of 1 morgan silver dollar dated 1897. I remember an older woman maybe in
her 70's came in with rolls of coins that had been collected by her deceased husband. She asked if I would mind taking them to buy beer and soda and save
her a trip to the bank. I agreed and accepted a roll of dimes and 10 rolls of pennies. She was a little short in coins for what she wanted to buy, so she then pulled
out some $1 Silver certificates. Over the next few weeks she returned with more coins and older paper money for booze. I never found anything of great value
in the coins, but it sure gave me a quick start in my coin collection.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Two silver quarters last summer, from 2 different gas stations, 25 miles apart, within 2 weeks of each other.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gleaner1 said:
In the last twenty years I have found about five or six silver roosies in my change, maybe one silver quarter. I found a lot more red EF wheaties, those dont get snatched up so quickly when the collection hits circulation after the "aquisition".

My experience is about the same.

Used to get the occasional Merc when I was delivering newspapers . . . but that's nearer twice 20 years ago. ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread