Just Wow! Not in a good way.

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Took a very small road trip today. Hit a "large branch" bank I wont name incase some fellow tneters are using it. I asked for halves and the nice lady asked if i wanted to get on their weekly order list. I smiled and asked to explain please. She says and i quote "we have 12 customers who get between $500 and $5000 worth of halves every week through order". "We do enough business that we can afford to do it for our customers." "How many would you like and what time can you schedule with the vault teller to pick them up as you must be on time to not get in the way of the other orderers."?

Goodluck out there folks. I use to pull a few silver halves from here half of my visits. Now there are 12 full time people ordering here. I also ran into one of my competitors in my area a week ago. He told me he dumped coins 5 days a week now and ive seen him with multiple 5 gallon buckets ready to dump. My estimates are 50k a week given that amount 5 days a week. Yikes.

Upvote 0

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
That's probably why you haven't gotten much in your orders.. with so many people.. you probably want to go to a different bank all together?

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SFBayArea said:
That's probably why you haven't gotten much in your orders.. with so many people.. you probably want to go to a different bank all together?

You probably want to go to a different STATE altogether. ;D

OP
OP
JD-GA

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Ya know ive averaged ordering only 2 weeks a month all year and have done less than one road trip a week and im quite content with my numbers for the year. However in just a few short months crhing has gone from a odd thing to a very competetive hobby. As far as choosing a different bank? Ya know that particular branch and area i have mixed views on. 1 If my order banks pull from the same vault i think at least its keeping it clear to pick up that new silver. Or maybe these guys are just going to wear each other out with going through each others dumps. Im quite diversified and still managed to find my 100 silvers goal for this week of effort putting in only 4 hours.

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
It's not necessarily the banks, but more their suppliers and the markets they operate out of. I know around Philly, Brinks occasionally will get change from Dunbar through a program they have. Dunbar will pull from other districts if they need to restock, though, so I usually just dump at Brinks banks, and order from non-Brinks banks.

I also live right on the border with Delaware, so if I want to go to a different market, all I have to do is drive south instead of North, East, or West.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the other hand, would 12 people be ordering if the boxes weren't producing? Something to think about...

I believe I'd order a few boxes and see what happens. You never know...

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
mts said:
SFBayArea said:

You probably want to go to a different STATE altogether. ;D

You may want to pack up and move to Panama. They used the same coin blanks as US for coins.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Buddy , You have nothing to worry about - Most of us would dream of being in your world
with tellers asking " how many boxes would you like ?" and what pick up schedule is good for you
are you kidding me ? And you got some guy dumping multiple 5 gallon buckets full of reject coin !
Do you think this cat would go thru that hassle if he wasn't pulling massive silver - really ???
As far as I can tell , you just walked into CRH dreamland , count your blessings ! Argentium.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Argentium said:
Do you think this cat would go thru that hassle if he wasn't pulling massive silver - really ???

Actually that is possible. I have seen on here and in my own CRHing, there seems to be a pattern where a person starts out with less boxes and gets better results, and then gradually over time moves up to more volume, while the yield of silver gets less and less, because once the easy silver is gone (those bags/boxes sitting in vaults and in courier warehouses for years) it takes a while for new silver to be dumped and work its way into the system.

Seems to be some talk lately of CRHers doing massive amounts of boxes. If said stories are true (and I am not saying they are untrue), then I don't see why those CRHers' results would be much different than some of our members here who were/are doing relatively large amounts of boxes (like silvercop, whose finds have gotten less and less in recent months as he has reported). Doing 50 boxes a week will obviously increase your chances of finding more silver than if you did 5 boxes a week, but it will also increase the number of skunks you get. I can see someone who has time on their hands and is really addicted to CRHing doing massive volume even in the face of diminishing returns.

Jim

OP
OP
JD-GA

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Ive been at it quite a while now. And can say with pretty good accuracy that the more volumn i do the less I find. My heaviest month i did 55 boxes and 11 bags and found 10 keepers. Now could i have done just 1 more box and found 50 keepers? Sure it can happen. However more than likely I would have had to do 55 more boxes to find 10 keepers. My guess its the addictive nature of the hobby has some people go nuckin futs when the silver is running thin. Some of us back off when it gets rough and some folks decide to double or triple down.

My 2 cents anyhoo.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim4silver , I do agree with you that there are some - like silvercop, who are so stoic , that even
in the face of 10 skunk boxes , they don't back off their order quantities - this is heroic ! But
the dude I was referring to , is clearly doing like 10 grand worth + How the hell do you dump that
kind of quantity ??? A one gallon bucket holds aprox . $700. worth so even a single 5 gallon is
$3500 or so ! Argentium.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
The problem with this hobby is that it's so addicting like going gambling but no loss other than gas money although there's a limit on how much you win. If you knew consistantly how many you'll get out of every box, it wouldn't be as fun and addicting. In fact, it would turn into work.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, some people search sooooooo much every week. If they're not having insaleny good scores, would it even be worth it to spend that much time doing it?? I love roll hunting, but at what point is it costing people more than they could potentially gain?? I think it almost wouldn't be worth it to search 50 grand a week, that's just to much time into it. Then again, I'm not even close to being retired, if I was I could spend a lot more time doing it.

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
The only reason I roll search is the high I get from finding silver. Seriously... while it doesn't compare to a high you can get off drugs (I had some problems with that when I was younger...) it's still a natural high, and is addicting.

robinsong

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
Agree with the insights offered here. For me, I take it slow as that's all the time I have. Plus, I live in an area with absolutely no coin counting machines so have to re-roll and that's time consuming. So, I average maybe $200 a week in customer rolled halves from banks and that nets me enough to make it fun without burning me out. I look at this thing as a marathon, not a sprint so it's fine to just find a few silver coins per week that go into the pile. If I did box after box, I'd probably burn out. My one and only box I ordered contained no silver but 50 stupid Obama coins that I sold on ebay for face value just to get rid of them.

Robinsong

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with you man , This thing is a marathon , and it is a hobby - which suggests to me that it
should be enjoyable ! I likely won't do more than 2 or 3 boxes a week tops , and 4 boxes a month
at the low end . I'll skunk some , and I'll score some , but I will enjoy it ! Argentium.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions