JW Fisher 8x - what do you think

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XS-2a Pro, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am considering purchasing a JW Fisher 8x. Used and two years old and seems to be a good price. I want to be able to get into the saltwater, but I'm not a diver. Will use wading or snorkeling. I own a VLF machine, but not waterproof. Can anyone give me so pros and/or cons on this pulse induction for my intended use? As always, many thanks for your replies.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a Pulse detector and will do well for the saltwater sand. These are different than the Fisher detectors that most know that First Texas makes. I always thought they were too expensive for what you got and didn't seem to be any better than the pulse detectors made by Garrett, White's and Tesoro for the water. In fact they might just be better because of up dated circuits. If you got it at a good price I say go at it and good luck.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sandman said:
This is a Pulse detector and will do well for the saltwater sand. These are different than the Fisher detectors that most know that First Texas makes. I always thought they were too expensive for what you got and didn't seem to be any better than the pulse detectors made by Garrett, White's and Tesoro for the water. In fact they might just be better because of up dated circuits. If you got is at a good price I say go at it and good luck.
I agree.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would avoid. Your paying top dollar for an excellent but not very well featured diving machine. All pulse machines designed for diving have to have a high uS design. The more depth of water over the coil the higher the uS needs to be. The higher the uS setting the less sensitive the detector.

Many modern pulse machines allow the uS to be adjusted in the range of 10 to 40 uS. You need a low setting so that you can find engagement type rings even chains that many pulse owners never seem to find.

As your not deep diving your better to select a detector designed for wading and work on the wet sand. I would suggest you look at something like the Whites DF.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread