ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I've been doing some salvage work in local lakes, I was using a cheapo Trident Viper U/W detector before, but now have my Pulse 8X. How the heck do you guys ever pinpoint targets with these things. Even with the sensitivity switch in the lowest position, it picked up a pocket knife 1 foot to the side of the coil. The knife was only in about 1 foot of sludge (mostly just decaying algae...no digging required) but seriously. Is Pulse Induction just that much more powerful or is this because I am in fresh water instead of salt water? Does someone make a good underwater pinpointer that might help...just wondering what you guys who have more experience with these detectors do...a 3 foot radius is not what I call pinpointing :D

Any tips or ideas? It's awesome....a little too awesome ;)

Jason

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Jason
You have to bring that one down here and use it on my site, because I don't think my 8x is anywhere near that sensitive. Lets try it out.
Seahunter

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Well, if I have too :D I'm drying all that nasty Carribean water out of everything right now, then I'll head your way.

Jason

J

jerseybones

Hi Jason, Have used the 8x a bit and yes they can be quite sensitive. when you receive a strong signal, try lifting off the bottom a bit till it gets weaker and you can usually center it pretty well. but also remember that ferrous materials in water will spread out a good deal over time and you may have been reading this "halo" Just take some time to get the feel for machine. I probably use my Excalibur a little more than the 8x because its better at cancelling out the iron. But the 8x is a great machine too! Good luck! Ken

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Jason, Jersey is right about the use of the Excal doing better with the iron mask. The PI's are very deep and will reach out for iron targets. Raising the coil off the bottom as far as you can to make the field smaller helps some. This JW Fisher detector is one of the more sensitive PI's made and it is designed for locating parts of shipwrecks under lots of sand, not for finding coins and rings. However it will do a job at finding deep targers under all the sand at a saltwater beach. Freshwater doesn't usually have extra deep targets and iron won't rust as fast so it isn't that big a problem. I hope you have a strong back. I don't anymore and use an Excalibur 1000 for most of my freshwater and salt too.

HH,
Sandman

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That's OK, I bought this to seach off Florida's East coast...underwater. Out there if I get a hit, I'll want to dig it, more treasure than there is trash where I'll be hunting. I've been scuba diving with it twice now, and I find it quite comfy in the water. I use the belt to strap the unit to my waist, and then the lightweight PVC pole and coil on the handle. It is perfect for what I bought it for, I guess I'm just not used to the sensitivity of PI. It won't bother me a bit in Florida's waters :) Thanks for the advice.

Jason

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jason wrote: .......more treasure than there is trash where I'll be hunting

I don't want to burst your bubble big guy, but this is categorically not true, at least on Florida's east coast. I promise that you will dig, on average, at least 50 trash targets for every shipwreck artifact you find and probably 100 trash targets for every "treasure." There is nothing more aggravating that spending 1000 lbs of air to dig an 18" hole underwater only to find the bottom of a Budweiser can!

The same reefs that claimed the shipwrecks in the first place are also collection spots for beer cans, fishing sinkers, lures, hooks, lost dive gear, boat parts, modern coins, pull tabs, iron nails and tons of other metal junk.
It got worse after the huricanes from the last 2 years. All the junk on the beach and in the dunes got pulled out to the reefs (especially the first reef)

The good news is, we collect all the junk we find and bring it aboard our boat to dispose of properly. This not only cleans the reefs, but keeps us from detecting it again later!

Tom

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Well that's not what I wanted to hear Tom! :D It wasn't like that at the last site I went to, but that site is about 800 miles from you guys. I guess I'll know all this first hand weekend after next. You gonna be able to come down to Jupiter and hunt with us?

Jason

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
On the brighter side, you might find the situation very different at Seahunter's Jupiter Inlet site, where they are blowing holes in the deep sand.

;D

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Concerning the 8x Fisher detector. Since I cannot dive any more is there a way to put an extension rod/pole on the 8x and still be able to locate metal objects?
Peg Leg

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Actually Peg, by the time you extend all the cables as far as you can. this thing is probably 15 feet long. You could hang on to it by just the earpeice and probably search at 15 ft. fairly effectively if you weighted the coil properly. This would be enough at low tide at your site, right??

I used the 8X today for a bit...not much treasure but I did find enough lead weight pouches to get me by in fresh or salt water. Hunted around a dive platform used for scuba training hoping to find a little jewelry. All I got was weight pouches, but hey, I didn't have any of my own, so they were treasure to me. :D

Actually, our instructor flung his wedding ring off playing "panicked diver" for our Rescue class, I found it within about 4 minutes. He knew right when and where it came off though, so it was an easy search. :D

The "dangling Pulse 8X" might be worth a try at your site though eh??

Jason

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread