Jw in Southeast Missouri

Jwh1o1

Jan 11, 2013
Southeast Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to the metal detector thing and am thinking about buying one. I was thinking about a Fisher F2 or F4 for starting out. I have not really used a metal detector all that much but I learn quick. I have been wanting to do this since I was in school and found an old indian head penny walking home from school one day but never got a chance to. Any suggestions for me before I take the plunge? I am interested in coins gold and jewelry.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jw, First welcome to Tnet! Second you have Great Initials, same as my son. Third about any current model detector from a Major Manufacturer you purchase will treat you well, even some of the low end units are ok. Having been where you are I would recommend that you purchase a machine with an all metal mode as well as a variable discrimination mode. I lucked out with my first machine as it had both. As long as you have it you can choose to use it or not and there are times when you do not want any at all and there are other times when you will really need it. I personally prefer White's machines as the three that I own have always treated me well, in fact just today I sent off to White's for a new coil for my XLT which, is a discontinued detector now. I will still use the XLT for a few more years and then I might sell it. Also, will you hunt in the water or while it is raining? If so you really want a waterproof machine and that will really limit the number of detectors you can purchase: Garret, Minelab, Tesoro

Another item to consider in choosing which machine to purchase IS, How Many Coils for that machine does the company offer? Being able to add other coils to the machine will enhance your ability to find more targets! Also, what sort of warranty does the machine have? White's is pretty good, Tesoro's is life time to the original purchaser.

Accessories:
An electronic pinpointer will make your detecting faster and more enjoyable
Earphones either wireless or wired
Some sort of digger

And as you become more interested in the "Hobby" you will find other things you 'need'. Good Luck with your choice and Good Success with your hunting...........63bkpkr

OP
OP
J

Jwh1o1

Jan 11, 2013
Southeast Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher F 2 Metal Detector with Free Headphones Fiskars Trowel Headphone Bag | eBay

There are a few bundles to choose from so far i have found 4 different coils 4" 8" 10" and 11". I will buy the optional rainproof cover for it just incase I need. I live near a river and the coils on these are waterproof so thats a big plus for me. There is an all metal and discrimination mode. There is a 5 year warranty on them.

Also I was wondering if the power supply is something to consider? These are powered by 2 9v batterys, I did not know if that would be good or bad.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The batteries in the F2 are fine, you should get at least 30 hour on a set. A good starting point is a large and a small coil. There is another package that has a small coil, standard coil , and Fisher Fpoint pinpointer called the F2GWP.

The F2 is a great value.

Wayne

Www.MetalDetectingStuff.com

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome, take care near the river with unit if its not totally waterproof, dont want to short out the electronics, good luck hunting

OP
OP
J

Jwh1o1

Jan 11, 2013
Southeast Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread