K.G.C in Tennessee

SamCro2010

Dec 31, 2010

Jonathan James

Jul 19, 2009
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, White's Spectrum XLT, White's Quantum2, White's Eagle2, White's Surf PI, White's 4900, White's 5900 Di/Pro SL, White's Classic ID, White's Coinmaster 1, Garrett AT Pro, Tesor
My name is Jonathan James and it is a family rumor that I am a decendent of the James brothers. There are several stories that I have heard throughout the years by my father and grandfather that Jesse and Frank spent alot of time in Tennessee and Alabama. I even know of houses that were rumored to be "hideouts" that they used. I have never been able to detect any of these properties due to the landowners being affraid of unwanted attention if something of importance was found.

There is even a grave located in Giles county Tennessee that is said to be Franks. Even though it is well known that Frank and Jesse are both buried in Missouri. I guess that is why it is called treasure hunting, you never really know the whole story or the real truth. That's the joy of the hunt, the quest for the truth.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ever get back over to Giles I am going to do some detecting. Lot of interesting history in that area. Good luck in your search.
HH
TnMtns

Jonathan James

Jul 19, 2009
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, White's Spectrum XLT, White's Quantum2, White's Eagle2, White's Surf PI, White's 4900, White's 5900 Di/Pro SL, White's Classic ID, White's Coinmaster 1, Garrett AT Pro, Tesor
If anyone wants to persue this legend of the James Bros being in the Giles County area, i'm for some research.

TN_MD

Jan 6, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Radio Shack 2v6 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD , And a Homebuilt M.D.
Jesse James also used Dunbar Cave in Clarksville Tn, as a hideout , even wrote his name inside the cave on the wall.

Karl

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fl1ntpo1nt said:
If anyone wants to persue this legend of the James Bros being in the Giles County area, i'm for some research.

I live in Giles so if you'd like to get together to see what we can learn then just let me know.

David

Jonathan James

Jul 19, 2009
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
I know the James Brothers will always carry the label of being ruthless thieves. Plundering the innocent for self gain. But the deeper you dig into the history of Frank and Jesse the less it seems to me to be the truth.

TN_MD

Jan 6, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Radio Shack 2v6 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD , And a Homebuilt M.D.
To me this is another one of those subjects ; that it all depends on who wrote it,
Some will say he is an out law some will say he wasn't , all i can say is read as
much as you can and then come up with your own conclusion.

personally I think he had his bad mommen ts but that he also had some good ones too.
But most would rather write about the bad cause it sells more books / papers etc.

Jonathan James

Jul 19, 2009
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
You are right, back then was no different than it is today. Drama sells, the more the better. But I was trying to say that Frank and Jesse were made out to be cold-hearted criminals. And yes, robbery is a crime. But I don't think that the James Brothers robbed banks or trains for self gain. Hell, Jesse laid low for awhile and farmed for a few years before returning to his old ways. And I have read where Jesse and Frank refused to rob passengers on the trains that were southerners.

These posts are relating to the K.G.C., and I believe that most of the stolen money that was not hidden and or forgotton was used to fund this group. It was a group intended to put the south back on top with political force.

I'm sure someone with a little more knowledge will chime in soon.

TN_MD

Jan 6, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fl1ntpo1nt said:
You are right, back then was no different than it is today. Drama sells, the more the better. But I was trying to say that Frank and Jesse were made out to be cold-hearted criminals. And yes, robbery is a crime. But I don't think that the James Brothers robbed banks or trains for self gain. Hell, Jesse laid low for awhile and farmed for a few years before returning to his old ways. And I have read where Jesse and Frank refused to rob passengers on the trains that were southerners.

These posts are relating to the K.G.C., and I believe that most of the stolen money that was not hidden and or forgotton was used to fund this group. It was a group intended to put the south back on top with political force.
I'm sure someone with a little more knowledge will chime in soon.

Exactly, and I do believe you are correct.

locoboco

Dec 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your in east tn there is a place near kingsport where there are kgc markings i found one of the small stashes. a hole in a large rock shaped in a half moon found a rusty can
but no booty. there's more in the area, but never found it.
moved to chattanooga good luck

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
If your in east tn there is a place near kingsport where there are kgc markings i found one of the small stashes. a hole in a large rock shaped in a half moon found a rusty can
but no booty. there's more in the area, but never found it.
moved to chattanooga good luck
I'm near Kingsport. If you need help hauling some gold bars I have a truck. Welcome to the forum !

SonoftheSouth

Greenie
Jun 23, 2014
TN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The James brothers lived and worked in Nashville. This is well documented.
There are hidden family connections here. Rumor that James may not have been their correct surname.
The KGC was very active in and around Nashville. This is also well documented.
Purported caches South and West of Nashville - not well documented - Ashland City, Charlotte, Primm Springs, Bellevue, Brentwood areas.
Aside from the commonly cited Masonic connections, don't overlook the IOOF at this time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread