Minelab, Garrett,Fisher

Attachments

• DSC00221 (2).JPG
    DSC00221 (2).JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 2,899

Chico Rico

Dec 28, 2007
Virginia
Purchased one off of Amazon recently for $8 in way better shape recently.
Is yours autographed or a first addition?

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oops! eBay strikes again! ;D

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
His is a RAM edition and it is indeed worth more than $150 but only
if you read it and practice what it tells you to do. At that point it becomes
priceless. It can be found cheaper in other places and it can also be
found in better condition. Finally it can be found in earlier and more
helpful editions. In my opinion all of the earlier editions are more helpful,
useful and valuable than the RAM editions and that applies to every RAM
edition that also exists in an earlier printing by someone else. That does
not apply to those RAM editions that only exist as RAM editions.
Thus endeth the lesson. Good luck to you. siegfried schlagrule

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
According to my '77 Ram edition, #6 was copyrighted in 1961.
Revised printings in '73. '74 and '77. Ram Publishing Co. was in
Dallas and was used by Charles Garrett, Roy Lagal and KVM.

I don't know who printed the earlier versions so I can't say what was
left out. I wonder how many young guys like I was then were turned
on to real treasure seeking by the master, Karl von Mueller?

THM #7 was copyrighted '71. I have the '72 RAM edition. Roy
Lagal's Detector Owner's Field Manual came in '76 by RAM. I never
hear much about Roy anymore. He was a true Pro and could explain
how detectors work as good as anyone.

KVM (Deek Gladson's) "Sudden Wealth" came out in '72, I have the
'74 RAM edition. Charles Garrett's "Successful Coin Hunting" came out
in '74. I bought one and Charles gave me a signed copy in '77 for
bringing him a folding Army shovel.

Ahh, nostalgia lastleg

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Karl was a great pro treasure hunter. His books are the best to learn how to find bury treasures.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Someone will someday write a proper accolade to KVM. I was saddened to hear of his troubles late in life. Shortstack knows more about that than I.
Seigfried also knows some great details that I hadn't heard before. Wouldn't
that make a great adventure movie?

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the time of his death, KVM was really pushing the use of microfiche system for personal libraries of research materials. He liked the fact that a person could carry a whole library of info in one shoebox. When I saw him at the Tulsa Treasure Show in about 1988, he was handing out his tips for microfiche use. Not long after he passed, the computer craze took off. I really think he would have loved the computer systems we have today and the research possibilities we have.

Siegfried Schlagrule is a lot more knowledgeable about KVM than I'll ever be. :thumbsup:

Hey woody9624, I have 2 copies of #6, in excellent condition, that I'll sell you for $275 plus shipping. That'll allow you some profit margin. ;D

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
The first THM6 was privately published in Grand Prairie, TX in 1961. It was revised and printed by the Gold Bug in Alamo, CA if memory serves - Gold Bug had both soft cover and hard cover versions; next it was printed by 8 States Associates in Colorado and then finally it was done by RAM. The RAM edition is the least useful but the most available. There is only one chapter different from the original version and the Gold Bug version and it was only a list of names and addresses of all the people who pre-ordered THM-6. Someone used that list as a road map to rob people so it was dropped from all the other editions. There is a lot different from the Gold Bug edition to the RAM edition. THM6 was the first time that honest to gosh treasure stories were printed in a treasure book. Almost all previous and most subsequent books were just a compilation of previously published treasure stories from treasure and western magazines. In THM-7 the status of the THM-6 stories was updated. Nearly all of them led to recoveries for the first few folks to search them. siegfried schlagrule

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best books on how to treasure hunt is Karl manuals. Best of Luck to all of you.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
that's a RAM edition and can be found elsewhere for $15 to $20.
siegfried schlagrule

PAULWYO

Apr 18, 2009
Rock Springs , WY
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD 2200D
I HAVE A KVM # 7 FROM COPYRIGHTED 1966 ITS AUTOGRAPHED GOLDBUG IS THE PUBLISHER IT IS ALSO # 8384 WHATS IT WORTH IF ANY THING PLEASE LET ME KNOW THANKS .

PAUL BEYERS :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Karl wrote great manuals on how to find bury treasures. Research and more research.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a couple of Karl's books too and they are still a great read for any wanting to get into the hobby. :coffee2:

I think I have #6 & #7 but have to check on who published them. I hate to think when I croak my daughter in law will toss them in the trash with the rest of my library.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Although I would agree that almost any book by KvM is a guaranteed good read, in my opinion the pre-Ram THM #6 is by far the best.

It could also be argued that much of his most interesting and helpful material never made it into the books at all, but appeared in the National Prospector's Gazette and his "Ask Exanimo" column in Western & Eastern Treasures.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
PAULWYO said:
I HAVE A KVM # 7 FROM COPYRIGHTED 1966 ITS AUTOGRAPHED GOLDBUG IS THE PUBLISHER IT IS ALSO # 8384 WHATS IT WORTH IF ANY THING PLEASE LET ME KNOW THANKS .

PAUL BEYERS :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

The Goldbug edition THM7 is not worth as much as THM6 but I've seen them at the fixed price sellers for $50 to $75 ffor the hardcover and cheaper for the softcover. I've also seen them sell on ebay for very low dollars. The LUE map is a big draw on this one. If it is autographed by KvM the value would be higher. good luck, siegfried schlagrule

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
How about United States Treasure Atlas by Thomas P. Terry? I have a first edition from 1985. It is a ten volume set that has many basic listings from the famous treasure hunter for all states.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread