Keel Marks

theGOLD

Dec 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher 8x
A friend of mine is CONVINCED that he can find keel marks in some of the reefs on Google earth. When a large ship would crash into a reef, occasionally it would leave a deep gouge in the reef itself. Or when a ship ran up onto a flat reef, sometimes the thick keel would rock back and forth violently enough and long enough to leave a large divit in the reeftop. I have seen thes underwater, and they would be large enough to see from Google earth. I am skeptical but I think it may be possible. If you can find wrecks, then you should be able to see keel marks as well...
Anybody have any examples of this?? Especially in the bahamas where the reefs are so defined, I would think it possible.

(On a completely different not, Dell, I was reading some of your posts. They are sooo fascinating! I want more stories, they are way better than going out and buying some book)

Cheers
-theGOLD

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I suppose that's reasonable to assume but you also have to consider that modern vessels run across the reefs and grass beds as well. That's certainly a tantalizing possibility to find a grounding 'signature' like that. :thumbsup:

Pcola

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I sat scan shallow water areas looking for wrecksites all the time -- your ideal sounds worth of thought to me -- but then again --I'm very open minded to using new and differant things and thinking "outside the box" when it comes to exploring for wrecksites .

basically its no differant than if you were driving down a country road along a hunting area looking for where a a heavily used deer trail crossing area is reportly at -- and looking for "skid marks" on the pavement where cars slam on their breaks to avoid hitting deer during the night to help find the spot --( hey don't laugh it worked )

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dell, there are many other places on the internet, including social websites like Myspace and Facebook, where you could post stories of your many adventures and expeditions, along with photos.

I for one would love to read them and have always enjoyed your postings and pics here on Tnet.

Respectfully, Tom

OP
OP
theGOLD

theGOLD

Dec 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher 8x
I've seen a couple different ones. One in particular was right on a barrier reef. There was actually ballast and brick smashed into the smooth reef surface and a worn dredge mark right up onto the reeftop. We found a large pile of ballast and up on top of the reef in about three feet of water there was a nice scatter of smaller ballast that had caught up in any little crevice within an almost perfect keel mark.

(On a different note)
I guess we arent supposed to talk about it, but what exactly is LRL? Am I allowed to at least ask that question to understand what it is? Is that the same technique that some use to find say water sources on dry land?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
An LRL is a long range locator. Like a dowsing rod. OH NO! I SAID THE WORD THAT COULD GET ME BANNED!

OP
OP
theGOLD

theGOLD

Dec 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher 8x
Sorry for dredging that up guys. I was just curious as to what it was. Now I know .... and knowing is half the battle...............................................................G-I-JOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEE! (Sorry I couldnt resist...)

Unfortuneately that spot I was talking about in my last post is in a fuzzy section of the satelite coverage in my area, so I cant see anything let alone keel marks... But Im sure Ill find one that is this coming month and Ill try to post it. If any one has any sites of a wreck that came up hard on a reef and you know there is a large keel mark, check it out on google earth and see if you can spot anything.

-Gold

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Hey Dell,

I know the LRL stories are banned here, but hey, share some of the stories about the women! I know you got a few of those!

Robert

OP
OP
theGOLD

theGOLD

Dec 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher 8x
I LIKE it! And skillfully weave in references to Keel marks while your at it. That should be a nice fun challenge. ;D

-Gold

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I had a girlfriend whose cleavage looked like a keel mark. She even had barnacles on it!

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• sebastianinletARRGkeelmarks.jpg
    sebastianinletARRGkeelmarks.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 294

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In fact, I don't even recall there ever being an inlet in that spot until ARRG got their "dinghy" wet and left behind those keel marks... who's at the helm anyway? :o

Sorry Robert... couldn't resist the opportunity to join in the fun... ;D :tongue3:

Phips :icon_pirat:

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Well, Since Jason isn't here to defend himself.......I dont mind throwing him under the bus! :D :D

Actually, I was captain and was letting Jason navigate the channel for the first time. He drifted just a little off course and bottomed out. We were actually still in the channel, just a very shallow part. And this was also during the time when they were dredging! Ended up bending a prop!

Lots of fun!

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I second that CONCUR and raise you 7 more!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions