Keene folding a52p sluice?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I hear Keene stopped making it due to subpar results it was getting out in the field. Some things work better in testing than in the hands of the avg prospector in the field I guess...

OP
OP
mendodaze

mendodaze

Dec 26, 2012
Ah makes sense didn't see it on their web site..tryin to find a good folding sluice I have a a52 but parts of the American river u have both hands to hike their...you know which one is better jobe or royal? Or is it relative

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry, no idea on folding sluices. If it was me, I would strap a lightweight plastic sluice to my pack instead.

Jan 31, 2013
Yuma, Az
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good evening mendodaze,

Sluice boxes are overall all about the same. You can get different riffle/matting configurations to meet your local prospecting conditions (larger gold, really fine gold, etc) If you're looking for a sluice box Keene, Jobe, Royal, etc are all about the same. Some may have different aluminum thicknesses, maybe a different flare design, but you'll do fine with any of them. If you're looking to backpack a small 24" to 36" is all you'll need (36" may even be tough depending on your hiking environment). Also if you want a longer sluice 2 24" sluices that bolt together would work fine also (or even 2 18" boxes), you just get to you spot, bolt them together with a few bolts and wing nuts and start sluicing. They would also "nest" together well, just put them so they sit inside each other and 2 of those won't take up much more thickness than one sluice. Then you could also customize them, say have the top half expanded and miners moss and the bottom sluice riffles or matting. You have some options out there for sure, but if you decide to go with the expanded and moss use the Gold Hog moss. That stuff is great and won't compress up and fill up your mesh diamonds and holds the gold great with a carpet or v rib matting for a backing. Honestly I was a bit skeptical on the Hog Moss at first, but when I got some in the shop it really is that good and I highly recommend it.

Just some food for thought,
Thanks, Chris

Last edited:

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my royal folding sluice, however, you should duct tape the seams before you use it so it doesn't suck anything out the cracks.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old thread but.....
I have one. A real pain to put together. I leave mine assembled, then fold it in half. Putting it together initially, I believe i broke 3 pieces of plastic off, of it, after a half hour of BS!
It flexes ALOT!. And likes to float away :BangHead: The only good thing about it is the matting. Fine gold sticks to it. I believe the matting technology/design is about the same as the Keene Miracle mat, if not identical.

socalal99

Jan 26, 2013
So Cal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have the Royal backpack sluice and it works great for me. It catches very fine good with a good water flow. I can fit the Royal into my pack along with pan, classifier etc and hike into the back country with booth hands free. Hiking up the East Fork SGR is a two hand endeavor.

The problem with most folding sluices is they flex which is due to the pivot bolt holes being a bit large so the sluice can move enough to be folded. Most of them sag downward on the ends. Taping the joints is a good idea, but dealing with tape residue can be a problem.

I just saw that Keene has a new aluminum A52??? model folding sluice. It folds into a larger package than the Jobe or Royal because the top funnel section is not removed. I believe Keene stopped production of the original plastic folding sluice because small sand grains got caught in the connection grooves making reassembly very difficult.

Al

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reassembly is such a pain, I just pull two pins and fold mine in half. I have heard about the the Keene folding A52, can never find pics/links/info. Hopefully they keep that wicked green matting!

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Royal backpack sluice and it works great for me. It catches very fine good with a good water flow. I can fit the Royal into my pack along with pan, classifier etc and hike into the back country with booth hands free. Hiking up the East Fork SGR is a two hand endeavor.

The problem with most folding sluices is they flex which is due to the pivot bolt holes being a bit large so the sluice can move enough to be folded. Most of them sag downward on the ends. Taping the joints is a good idea, but dealing with tape residue can be a problem.

I just saw that Keene has a new aluminum A52??? model folding sluice. It folds into a larger package than the Jobe or Royal because the top funnel section is not removed. I believe Keene stopped production of the original plastic folding sluice because small sand grains got caught in the connection grooves making reassembly very difficult.

Al
A new Aluminum A52, folding sluice? Socalal99, where did you see this sluice? I can't find any info
Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread