Keene Sluice Mod opnions

67miata

Greenie
Sep 25, 2012
New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Keene sluice and have a modification to it. I exchanged the carpet it came with for miners moss. I have included a picture of it in both modes (the darker deep blue is the miners moss). My question is simple. I wondered which you thought would perform better? Water flow is not going to be a problem, in fact it is likely too much at times. I would guess the miners moss would be the better choice (thats why I bought it) but then I get thinking how long Keene has been in business building these things. They have likely tested different material in the bed of the sluice and sell it with the carpet. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

016.JPG 017.JPG

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Miners moss won't work with those riffles. It will keep them up and allow water flow underneath, which will destroy the ability to hold fines in the vortexes. I don't even use the expanded metal.

If you can shine a flashlight and see light underneath a riffle, it's not going to work.

OP
OP
67miata

67miata

Greenie
Sep 25, 2012
New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MM is sooooo much thicker then the carpet, it snaps down quite tightly (actually difficult to snap down). So you would not use the expanded metal OR the riffles? I am not sure how the MM would remain in place. Not shown, but I did rivet a piece of angle aluminum across the bottom (water exit) of the sluce to catch anything from slipping under everything and out. I appreciate the advice ...... would the MM stay in place alone?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
67miata said:
The MM is sooooo much thicker then the carpet, it snaps down quite tightly (actually difficult to snap down). So you would not use the expanded metal OR the riffles? I am not sure how the MM would remain in place. Not shown, but I did rivet a piece of angle aluminum across the bottom (water exit) of the sluce to catch anything from slipping under everything and out. I appreciate the advice ...... would the MM stay in place alone?

I'm saying I wouldn't use the miners moss in that sluice.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would stick with the carpet because it is backed. if you can get the Moss over the carpet and close the sluice go for it. But try to get some V-mat for under the Moss. gold will sit on/in the carpet or vmat. Moss works great for grabbing fine stuf.f However the the action of the sluice works the gold down through the moss to the bottom and there it can be pushed out under the moss. run your sluice for a bucket or two with only Moss, pull your riffles and Moss and look how much heavy sand is under everything. So thats what Miners Moss does. The riffles Jason is refering to are the taller dreging riffles it looks like you have the standard hungarian wich will work just fine with different carpet/moss/matt set-ups

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread