Keep on, Keepin on

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep on, Keepin' on

Hit my new haunt this morning at 6:30, started digging and with the fowl weather didn't stop me from finding stuff like I did a few days earlier. When my grandfather used to hunt (when he was alive and able too), he told me one key way to date a location is by the nails you find. That being said...

A good sign..a non-machine cut square nail, with an applied head.
20140921_072428.jpg

Broach..
Broach.jpg

What looks like a jade blossom..

Blossom.jpg

Silver toned knob..
Knob.jpg
Knob2.jpg

Crucifix (Jesus is on Vacation)
Cross.jpg

Gold plated Cuff-link..
Cufflink.jpg

Mini Glass Dog
Dog.jpg

Peephole cover
Peep.jpg

Lock..
Lock.jpg

"Mystery" Brass rings (war nickel used for scale)
Rings.jpg

...and yes I finally got a coin, albeit an unreadable wheatie..
Wheat.jpg

Total.jpg

Upvote 7
OP
OP
MuckyBottles

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some more pictures of the cleaned items..

Here is the broach, who knows if the stones are real..
Broach2.jpg

Crucifix (...Jesus is sipping a mojito on South Beach)
Cross2.jpg

Dog..
Dog2.jpg

The rest of the cleaned items..
TC.jpg

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds!I think your brass rings could be rein guides for a horse.Might want to take your stones to a jeweler and have them put a diomand tester to them.I would have them look at that piece of jade too!Is that orange colored piece glass or some large gemstone? Looks like that sifting is really paying off for you.HH

Last edited:
OP
OP
MuckyBottles

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about the large orange stone, it has a little silver hookup type thing. I have another one that's similar but with a redish stone. I trust my gut and my gut tells me that I am missing a whole bunch of stuff that I can't locate with my machine, don't get me wrong it's a lot of work, but as you can see it pays off.
Here is the red version.
20140914_195615.jpg

OP
OP
MuckyBottles

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to mention that I kept getting huge whiffs of decomp. A smell that once you smell it , it never leaves your nose. If it wasn't for that I would still be tgere. I looked around and saw nothing rotting, kinda bugged me out.

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like it was a good morning regardless of the weather and the...erm..smell. Hope those stones are real in that brooch, that'll make it worth it.:laughing7:

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some great finds.

OP
OP
MuckyBottles

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it was a good morning regardless of the weather and the...erm..smell. Hope those stones are real in that brooch, that'll make it worth it.:laughing7:

Any day out digging (..and away from the wife : x) is a good day out. I'm only an 1/8 of the way completed with this dig and it was paid off since day one.

OP
OP
MuckyBottles

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"A. Look at the rock from the top and see how well the facets (cuts on top of the diamond) are joined. They should be sharp not rolled.
B. Look at the girdle and see if it is faceted or frosty (a clear sign it’s a diamond) or waxy and slick (an indication it’s a fake).
C. While you’re looking at your stone under magnification, look into your stone to see if you detect any flaws (carbon, pinpoints, small cracks). These are typically clear indications it’s the real thing since it’s very hard to put inclusions in a fake.
D. After examining the stone, focus in on the stamps inside the setting. A stamp of “10K, 14K, 18K, 585, 750, 900, 950, PT, Plat” indicates the setting is real gold or platinum which gives a better chance that the stone in it is real as well. While you’re looking at the interior of the ring, also look for any “C.Z.” stamps that would indicate the center stone is not a diamond."

Got this information from a jewelers website, while I am getting the stones checked out, my curiosity is getting the better of me.
1. Looking through my loupe, it appears that there are inclusions in the stone's.
2. The stones are faceted no backing on them.
3. Edges are razor sharp.
4. I even tried the fogging method vs my wife's engagement ring, no condensation.

There is one other method I may try, the flame method. 30 seconds in flame then immerse into cold water, if it cracks, it's not a diamond.

Mind you, I know jack about stones, other than they are expensive.

* taking into consideration that these stone's could be 80+ years old in which section D doesn't apply.

Last edited:

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Foul weather and foul smell. You're hardcore! Congrats on the great finds!

OP
OP
MuckyBottles

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
* I'll be out again tomorrow smell of rotting flesh or not I know there is coinage and plenty more jewelry to be found there

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That "lock" should be 1880's, 1890's patent dates. Mine that I just took out of a door at the farmhouse is a Russell & Erwin MFG Co. New Britain Conn. Patented Jan. 29 1889 and June 11 '89. Yours is a bit different so could be earlier or later depending....

Last edited:

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the stuff you save in your pits! I would love to find a spot like that. Must research for next spring!!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mucky, sounds like a dead animal close-by, it is bow-season, they tend to get away and find a place to die sometimes with a little far back shot or other type near miss.
Your doing good, your a good little digger, strong. Good luck there next time, keep digging brother, there has to be some old bottles with no snakes in them!

OP
OP
MuckyBottles

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Good little digger"
That's disconcerting, at 6'1 225 lbs I wouldn't call myself little...lol It's all good man I know what you mean. .

That's what I thought, unfortunately in Rockland county there is little to no hunting, unless your on private land. I did however see three massive deer scraps..Two years back I sprung a basket rack 14 pointer while hunting an abandoned hospital, wanna get your adrenaline pumping, that would be it..I could make a one time suppressor for my rifle....I didn't say that shh..lol

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread