Keep XP Deus or buy new

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So here is my issue ion a nut shell. I had an Coin master pro and loved it but sold to move to a At Pro. Had good results with that but visit the beach and it hated the salt water. Sold that and ended up with an XP Deus. THIS THING IS GOING TO BE THE DEATH OF ME. I get horrible results when i get within feet of salt water and even very saturated salt water sand.

I can take the deus out 2 days in a row with the same program and get completely different results each day. I have updated and tried everything in the book. I am not saying that it doesn't work or the detector is no good and is more than likely me but this is crazy lol...

Anyways Anyone willing to help out with any info that may be of use.
I would like to go to one of andys classes but the location and dates there is no way i could possibly go.

With that being said should i keep or move to another detector. I may end up in the same boat with a new detector. I am in florida and went and looked at the local shop here at the whites and others. The v3i is really nice just not waterproof.

I hunt more land or ankle deep. I think if i got to going back in water over head or creek i would buy the at pro again since it is waterproof and worked pretty good and still cheap.

Thanks

Upvote 0

davemihm

Feb 1, 2015
Mcminnville or
Detector(s) used
Whites xl Pro 6000 , MX Sport. Coin Master pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May want to look at the Whites MX Sport, I,ve only had mine for a couple of months and have had pretty good results . I do find that my new machine is quite different than my 6000 xl pro , so I,m still getting used to the MX Sport. Have not had a great deal of experience in water , did use it some in the salt water and a bit in fresh water . I found that the main problem that I had was when detecting in black sand areas. The nice thing I like about the MX Sport is that it is waterproof to a depth of 10 ft. And I can,t say enough good things about Whites.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May want to look at the Whites MX Sport, I,ve only had mine for a couple of months and have had pretty good results . I do find that my new machine is quite different than my 6000 xl pro , so I,m still getting used to the MX Sport. Have not had a great deal of experience in water , did use it some in the salt water and a bit in fresh water . I found that the main problem that I had was when detecting in black sand areas. The nice thing I like about the MX Sport is that it is waterproof to a depth of 10 ft. And I can,t say enough good things about Whites.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Thank you for the info and model with your input....

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Get a whites dfx. Two operating frequencies makes it rock solid in salt water. I have looked at other machines to upgrade to, but each time I compare them to the dfx I see no advantages for the type of hunting I do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking at maybe buying the mx sport and the mxt all pro. I stopped in at a local whites dealer here in florida. This would allow myself and my wife to hunt both land and water. I am not set on that for sure. I did like the 3030 when i had it a few years ago but i was working 80-100 hours a week then and only used it a few times. I think the 2500 price tag is a little high at the moment. I dont mind doing 1500 or so. I like the v3i but no waterproofing... :(

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You need a multifrequency machine to run on wet salt sand or salt water. That is why you had so many issues with your AT Pro. These will NOT be better unless they are multifrequency. If you want a machine that does it all its the CTX...there are not any others.

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I stated above the ctx is a little much at 2500$. This is the reason I said I would be ok with 2 machines. That and my wife wants to hunt as well.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Then get an Excal for the water. Neither of the two machines you are looking at are salt water machines.

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They may not be rated for saltwater but apparently they work VERY good. She said we can go out and try them out. So I donno. Not saying your wrong by any means but she is very well known for her recoveries. Again I am not set on any machine. This is the reason I am asking for help. Thanks everyone for the info so far. I really appreciate it.

geffy

Jul 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think you must buy a CTX 3030 and rule them both!
g.png

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then get an Excal for the water. Neither of the two machines you are looking at are salt water machines.

Ditto, excalibur. Then give me your deus lol

Doodle Bug

Feb 4, 2013
Normally when I read thread titles like this I think to myself this person just wants to upgrade to a new machine and is trying to justify it to themselves or their significant other. I read this one because it gave an option. I wish I had an answer for you. I am relatively new to metal detecting and live about a thousand miles from salt water. The questions I am now asking are... Is the XP Deus suitable for salt water? and if so... Have you given it a fair shake? Mind you I have no knowledge what so ever of the XP Deus. If you choose to buy another, please let us know which one you chose and why. I would like to know what it offers that the old one doesn't.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
As for the Deus, keep it. My new hunting partner uses one and is killing the dirt with it. I'm impressed - but still prefer my CTX.

$2500? I picked mine up used still under warranty here on TreasureNet for $1500.

Keep your options open! Just how many detectors will you want to keep hopscotching around to? I think I've had 15 total. I'm happy where I'm at now.

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for the Deus, keep it. My new hunting partner uses one and is killing the dirt with it. I'm impressed - but still prefer my CTX.

$2500? I picked mine up used still under warranty here on TreasureNet for $1500.

Keep your options open! Just how many detectors will you want to keep hopscotching around to? I think I've had 15 total. I'm happy where I'm at now.

2500 was jut as thats what they retail for lol. My new price is under that.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well its official. Got a Killer deal on a ctx 3030 and pulled the trigger so to speak on it lol.. Not sure if i should be happy, Nervous or scared lol

Don in SoCal

Jul 19, 2014
Corona
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800; 11", 6X9CT... Compadre; 6C, 8OOR, 3X18 Cleansweep...GM4b; 6X9DD, 6X9C ...ML Sovereign; 8 & 10 Tornado, 10X12 Detech SEF …GP3500, 6X8 Sadie, 12 EVO, 14 CT Mono&DD
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Once you get into it you'll be very happy. 12 of the 40+ guys in our club use the CTX 3030 on the beaches here in So Cal :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread