Kellyco and Minelab have left a bad taste in my mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Maybe somebody can help me and the girlfriend solve somewhat of a mystery. I bought the girlfriend a Minelab Xterra 705 for Christmas from Kellyco. Used it once and after a couple of hours it started going haywire (as a side note, it was a beautiful, 80 degree, blue sky day). Thinking the batteries were dying, we didn't think much about it until we tried using it again with fresh batteries a few weeks later. The thing wouldn't even turn on. No biggie, called Minelab and they suggested sending it in under warranty. Wonderful. A few days later, Minelab calls, "sorry, but your detector has been submerged in water". I look at my girlfriend and we both are thinking "what are they talking about?" My first thought was that they had our detector confused with someone elses. But, she reassured us and sent us pictures of the internals. And yes, it was definitely submerged and starting to rust. Motherboard fried and a $350 price tag to repair it. Our thoughts were no way. $350 to repair a $500 dollar detector makes little to no sense in my mind. So as a last effort, we called Kellyco. Spoke to some higher than the almighty service rep who informed us that they have a 30 day return policy and we were stuck with the detector. Explained that it was a Christmas gift, and that we didn't have a chance to use it until weather permitted it. (another side note, we did open it shortly after Christmas and seemed to work fine, and put it away for better weather). The service rep explained that winter time is the best time to test the detector. We still don't understand what that means, Sub zero and a foot of snow is the best time to test a detector???? Really???

Well that's the back story, now the mystery of the submerged detector.

How did we end up with a detector (sold as brand new from Kellyco) that obviously took a bath?

The box was undamaged when delivered
The detector was used once, blue sky day
The detector was always stored indoors
The detector was bought new

I could be wrong, but here is our theory. It truly is the only explanation. This was a returned (new) item to Kellyco that the previous owner dropped in the water, dried it best that could and sent it back in the 30 day return policy (knowing that it would never work correctly again). If that's the case, shame on the customer. Kellyco, takes it as a return, not paying attention to detail and resells it to a second customer (us). If that's the case, shame on Kellyco. Minelab, $350 to fix a $500 machine. Price of doing business I suppose. Can't really blame them. Seems a little steep, but companies are here to make a profit.

So, if someone else has a better explanation or theory of how we ended up with a submerged detector, I would like to hear them.

I've been a Minelab loyalist for the past 15 years, but I think I'm going to replace the bad detector with a Garrett. (one last side note, it won't be purchase from Kellyco. I'm done with that outfit)

Pictures

Attachments

• det1.jpg
    det1.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 166
  • det2.jpg
    det2.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 146
  • det3.jpg
    det3.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 168

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did Minelab have any record of that detector being registered for warranty?

Kellyco? Did you ask them if it was a previously returned item?

Does the series number on the box match the machine (long shot)

biyaa

Feb 26, 2017
Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear you got the bad end of the stick. You pretty much have two choices. Looking at the logic board and some those rusted area. You able clean it with 70-80% alcohol. Afterward if your any good with soldiering use flux and re-soldier those rusted pin. This doesn’t take in account for any damage chip but I believe you got a chance getting it working. The other option would be just sell it as parts, and use the $$ replace with garrett or better detector. All the best mate.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
this is bs,minlab or kellyco should able to track the serial number if they wanted to.i think there is a kellyco rep on this website,hope he can help.
good luck brad

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That looks like battery leakage to me. Otherwise all the connections would be corroded. Shame they would not fix it.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having grown up on Guam, a common problem with electronics in high humidity areas is corrosion due to a lack of climate control. Maybe you got an item that has been sitting on the shelf for a long time with no humidity control? I have never been to Kellyco but i know they are in Florida with super high Humidity all year long. Maybe Minelab can look at the records and see when the machine was sold to Kellyco. If it has been a few years and Kellyco has a warehouse lacking in humidity control, it would explain the corrosion. That said, the box would be pretty ratty as well unless the box was changed out.

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I go back 15-20 years with Kellyco. No problems with the machines so no service problems. My only complaint is with safety. The extras that came with the machine included a folding knife. I test ALL folders that I intend to use. The blade lock on this folder failed and I told Kellyco so. They are still selling the dangerous folder. TAKE HEED TH'ers! If your folder, from ANYWHERE fails, destroy it before you or someone regrets you did not. I test mine by opening it and carefully attempt to close it using force on the blunt side. If the lock fails, you may consider it too dangerous to use, in my opinion. ╦╦Ç

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still own an Impulse 8! Old. Still works. Good beach machine. ╦╦Ç

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You bought detector 6 months ago and then want to return it 6 months later because it has issue, kellyco return policy is 30 days on detectors not 6 months, in fact I do not know of any dealer that will take a return detector 6 months later much less one that is broken, that is warranty issue with manufacturer not return issue with dealer.

Any time a detector is returned to Kelkyco that has been opened and taken out of box it can not be resold as new, it is resold only as use or demo, never sold as new to another customer.

You state you tested it at Christmas and it worked fine, if it had been dunked before you bought it it would not have worked when it arrived as pictures show it has been completely dunked in water, the corrosion makes it look like salt water as fresh water would not rust speaker like that unless it sat in water for long period. If it was battery corrosion the speaker would not look like that unless all 4 batteries completely leaked inside.

Xterra does not work properly once it has been completely surmerged in salt water unless it is opened and properly cleaned, the corrosion would cause it to fail, it would not have turned on and worked properly as you said it worked when you received it.

This issue is between you and Minelab repair.

I remind members we do not allow bashing of any supporting vendors just to bash as several have done so on this thread, their posts were deleted.

Please post by our rules.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having grown up on Guam, a common problem with electronics in high humidity areas is corrosion due to a lack of climate control. Maybe you got an item that has been sitting on the shelf for a long time with no humidity control? I have never been to Kellyco but i know they are in Florida with super high Humidity all year long. Maybe Minelab can look at the records and see when the machine was sold to Kellyco. If it has been a few years and Kellyco has a warehouse lacking in humidity control, it would explain the corrosion. That said, the box would be pretty ratty as well unless the box was changed out.
There is NO where near enough moisture in Florida to cause that damage, you would never get that kind of damage inside a box of a new detector in a warehouse unless warehouse was under water.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems a pity it only worked twice. If it was a bad build, it would make sense for Minelab to just replace it. New out of the box can be a bad build and the brands I have used fix it without problems. Also could be poor storage by yourself. Batterys should not be left in and 6 months would probably do it. Seen some great post here that you may be able to clean it up, and so learned a little myself. Do you wonder if setting in freezing and thawing temps may have produced water in the box also? My house is temp controlled, my back room closet is not heated as no reason to keep it warm or cold. If I had a complaint about Minelab, sometimes it works too good lol. Still learning my Etrac. I dont know what type of hunts your looking at, but there is some weather resistant detectors out there, in your price range. Plus who hasnt heard about the Nox or Kruzer and Deus who have filled niches in the market. Hope this doesnt turn you off to the sport as it really is a good way to relax or just get outside.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sounds like a crummy situation but to be fair to kellyco and minelab...

Kellyco has a 30 day return window. Do you think that is unfair? How long should it be? Months? Years? I mean thats kinda on you for not testing it before that time. You always need to thoroughly test equipment during the warranty.

Minelab is sending you pics of the detector. What do you want them to do? Repair for free even though it was obviously damaged and not their fault? Yea $350 for repair stinks but you have to remember you are taking 1+ hours of service time + parts.

I think you are asking a lot. Someone did damage the detector. You are past kellyco return window by months. I am not sure what you are really asking either of these companies for and why you are mad at them.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab’s Parent company has reported the full year profit outlook to be $38 million (see link if you are interested). they attribute this to increased detector sales in the “hobby” sector - that means Equinox. Would it kill them to ship the guy one of their otherwise unsellable 705’s to him - he would spend the next 6 months boring all of us with his praises for Minelab’s customer service. Looks like that are missing a great opportunity to turn (edit for language) into chicken soup.

https://hotcopper.com.au/documentdownload?id=uOMxKKzFkiWRTLKhOROKAxjvSDYL4wa+yBTyv/R9/rFiGug=

Last edited by a moderator:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once purchased a couple cell phones from AT & T and returned them the very next morning because no Cell phone service could be picked up in my area. At that time, only Verizon had a signal strong enough to be picked up at my house. The cell phone salesman convinced me that they would work. Long story short...AT & T came back a month later and said we owed them 288 bucks because of water damage! We took them out of the box, got no signal and put them back in the box. How could their be water damage? I was furious and had no way to prove their claim. Needless to say i never paid it and we got hit on our credit rating to boot! God i hate AT&T and pray the jerks that came up with that scam get what is coming to them in the long run!

Now, i am not saying Minelab has done this but, I know first hand by experience it can and does happen in other sectors of the electronics industry.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more little thing. If he had returned the damaged machine within the 30 days:

Would Kellyco have examined it

If they did so and detected the damage would they have refused the return on account of the damage?

If they accepted it back, (with or without knowledge of the damage) would they have re-sold it as new?

What is Kellyco’s policy on re-sale of returned merchandise?

How many times has this detector been sold?

Surely they have records of such things - what do they have to say for themselves?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
You bought detector 6 months ago and then want to return it 6 months later because it has issue, kellyco return policy is 30 days on detectors not 6 months, in fact I do not know of any dealer that will take a return detector 6 months later much less one that is broken, that is warranty issue with manufacturer not return issue with dealer.

Any time a detector is returned to Kelkyco that has been opened and taken out of box it can not be resold as new, it is resold only as use or demo, never sold as new to another customer.

You state you tested it at Christmas and it worked fine, if it had been dunked before you bought it it would not have worked when it arrived as pictures show it has been completely dunked in water, the corrosion makes it look like salt water as fresh water would not rust speaker like that unless it sat in water for long period. If it was battery corrosion the speaker would not look like that unless all 4 batteries completely leaked inside.

Xterra does not work properly once it has been completely surmerged in salt water unless it is opened and properly cleaned, the corrosion would cause it to fail, it would not have turned on and worked properly as you said it worked when you received it.

I remind members we do not allow bashing of any supporting vendors just to bash as several have done so on this thread, their posts were deleted.

TH...I have to say that you may be wrong in your statements highlighted in Bold. You do not know what state the metal detector was in when it was received by WheatBackDigger and when it was opened and tried out. The metal detector could have had salt water damage when shipped that had not compromised the components yet that allow it to power on and function correctly. We including yourself, do not know the state the metal detector was in when shipped, when received, when tested shortly after Christmas, when it would no longer power up and when it was shipped to Minelab for repairs. So, please explain how the metal detector was submerged in and damaged by salt water. You do know that Kellyco has been in the path or somewhat path of and affected by several Hurricanes and Tropical Storms since 2016. I don't have all of the facts, so all I can do is assume like others but to make statements based on assumptions and not facts, would be wrong of me!

Last edited:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question...Does Minelab sell repacks? If so, this could be a repack from the manufacture. In other words, a machine returned to Minelab for repair then resold to Kellyco at a reduced price.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree that his issue is with Minelab. At the same time, I think he is trying to figure out how the damage got there. Per the rules of T-net, We must assume the OP is being truthful. Therefore, Kellyco sold a bad detector to the OP and now we are trying to figure out how it happened. A mystery indeed.

On a personal note, i have had nothing but good experiences with Kellyco. My E-trac was sent in and back to me in record time and i have no complaints.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question...Does Minelab sell repacks? If so, this could be a repack from the manufacture. In other words, a machine returned to Minelab for repair then resold to Kellyco at a reduced price.

I am not aware of Minelab selling any repackaged detectors, detectors returned to them are warranty issues and those are not resold.

Any thing is possible in shipping, it could have happen then although highly unlikely. Detectors are shipped in bulk to Minelab and to Kellyco, they buy in bulk.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that his issue is with Minelab. At the same time, I think he is trying to figure out how the damage got there. Per the rules of T-net, We must assume the OP is being truthful. Therefore, Kellyco sold a bad detector to the OP and now we are trying to figure out how it happened. A mystery indeed.

On a personal note, i have had nothing but good experiences with Kellyco. My E-trac was sent in and back to me in record time and i have no complaints.

OP said he turned detector on and tested when he received detector and it worked. Six months later it is used couple hours and starts going nuts. I have never seen a salt water flooded detector that would even turn on much less run for couple hours after 6 months of salt corrosion.

If it was sold wet, salt water corrosion would destroy it completely in 6 months. It would have to have long term exposure to fresh water to have done that damage a single fresh water dunking would not rust like that unless it was long term exposure.

Not sure what happen, maybe mixup in repair center paperwork or detectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread