Ken Burns "The War"

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Ken Burns "The War"

Did anybody see this 15 hour series on PBS? Im a documentary nut, especialy civil war, WW1 & WW2..............this was hands down the BEST Ive ever seen on WW2. It covered the entire war quite well but they also took a detailed look at 4 American cities, Sacramento, Mobile Al, Waterbury Conn, & the tiny farming community of Luverne Min.......how the war affected its citizens, how they coped with rationing, how they pulled together for the war effort & how they dealt with the constant news of friends, family & local townfolks dying horrible deaths in places most of them had never heard of before. Alot of boys came home from the war & never spoke a word of the horrors they had witnessed & taken part in..........my grandfather was one, Ken Burns gathered quite a few of these men & convinced them that their story had to be told. Many horrific stories were told on camera for the 1st time ever, some extremely moving stuff. Im a big, tough guy & I was in tears throughout. Ive always been interested in this time but I came away with a whole new perspective, a whole new respect for the boys who willingly went off to war & came home men if they were lucky. Ive always heard they were the "Greatest Generation" & now I have no doubt! I just purchased the 6 dvd set on Ebay for $20 shipped, I highly recomend this series.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Ken Burns "The War"

I watched the whole thing TWICE BEST DAMN SERIES EVER next to THE CIVIL WAR(once on line ::) then on Sunday mornings/afternoons )
the fighter pilot just died a few weeks ago
me I didnt cry I turned it to something else and beat my dog :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
Mighty AP

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Re: Ken Burns "The War"

EDDE said:
I watched the whole thing TWICE BEST DAMN SERIES EVER next to THE CIVIL WAR(once on line ::) then on Sunday mornings/afternoons )
the fighter pilot just died a few weeks ago
me I didnt cry I turned it to something else and beat my dog :icon_sunny:

.........poor dog. That was a type-o, I wasnt crying........I had something in my eye damnit. :wink:

The fighter pilot who died was the guy who wrote the letter to his then girlfriend (married after the war) telling her about all the horrors, all his friends dying, how he didnt have a hope in hell of surviving the war, then decided not to send it.......put it in his footlocker & kept it in his attic for 60 years? Pulled the letter out & read it on camera.......mindblowing stuff! Too bad, he was a hero........one hell of a man. Im so glad he opened up & told the world about his experiences before he passed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread