Got 2-64s + 3-40%

Then, I pulled the following:

1 1972S
1 1977S
1 1986S
1 1987S
1 2006S
1 2007 S

All are "cameos." Are all mint marks with a "S" cameo? Should I keep them.? Most are in pretty bad condition with marks, abrasions, etc. All are clad.

Then, I got 5-2010 ( 2-P & 3-D). All have a yellowish tint. Figured these would be the best in terms of visual appeal, but this is not the case. They look "down right worn."

Suggestions?

Just glad I did not get a full skunk this round,

apush :read2:

Upvote 0

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
I'd keep them. They are "S" mints in case you want to start a collection.
rileyboy

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
apush said:
Today I picked up 3 boxes of halves.

Got 2-64s + 3-40%

Then, I pulled the following:

1 1972S
1 1977S
1 1986S
1 1987S
1 2006S
1 2007 S

All are "cameos." Are all mint marks with a "S" cameo? Should I keep them.? Most are in pretty bad condition with marks, abrasions, etc. All are clad.

Then, I got 4-2010 ( 2-P & 3-D). All have a yellowish tint. Figured these would be the best in terms of visual appeal, but this is not the case. They look "down right worn."

Suggestions?

Just glad I did not get a full skunk this round,

apush :read2:
Good that you scored some silver on the boxes :thumbsup: :thumbsup:. I'd toss the clad proofs especially if they are in bad condition. It's common to find clad proofs in pretty good condition. You will see as you go on searching. I save the best ones for my son who collects them.
HH
Rich

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just put 9 S-Halves on E-Bay, I will let you know how they do. I got 2 nice 1976 S Halves the other day. I have 9 know, so I will see what happens. I am david3764 on e-bay if you want to follow.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
All cameo proofs are mintmarked "S", but all mintmarked "S" coins are not cameo.

Cameo proofs are worth more than regular proofs. Also Deep Cameos or Ultra Cameos are worth more than than cameo and regular proofs.

Here is the complete definition:

"The term applied to coins, usually Proofs and prooflike coins, that have frosted devices and lettering that contrast with the fields. When this is deep the coins are said to be “black and white” cameos. Occasionally frosty coins have “cameo” devices though they obviously do not contrast as dramatically with the fields as the cameo devices of Proofs do. Specifically applied by PCGS to those 1950 and later Proofs that meet cameo standards (CAM)."

The greater the contrast between the frosted devices and the lettering would make one coin a deep cameo versus just a regular cameo with a "mild" contrast.

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
The clad S coins ( and any other coins) are worthless if they are all scratched unless they are very, very ,very, rare.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I completed a Kennedy collection from crh - I trade out the S coins for better ones as I find them and toss the other back. Some people have tried selling these "impaired proofs" but don't make much. You can buy unopened mint sets for reasonable money thus the impaired proofs are cool looking but worth little. The exceptions are the silver proofs, some are 90% silver.

Maine_Jim

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
i save them all cuz i don't get many keepers out of my boxes, since i live in a bad place for CRHing, so it makes my search feel worth while. :tongue3:

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep Cameo and Ultra Cameo is the same thing but one term is used by PCGS and the otehr one by
NGC.

refers to the type of frosting on the divices (images)

the commemorative 1977 S comes in proof "S" and just "S" that is not a proof.

DW

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll keep s mints if they are good quality, at least AU. And if I don't already have one of that year. There are silver proofs also, I haven't found one yet, but I will be keeping those when I get some.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread