Kenton Cast-Iron Delivery Wagon No. 5 Damaged

patack

Sep 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
Boy, was I delighted to find this forum!
I have a Kenton Cast-Iron Delivery Wagon No. 5 that has some issues:
Axle is broken (cleanly)
Seat is missing washer and ???

Questions:
Can the axle be repaired?
Is there a diagram anywhere that might have what the washer and ? should look like?
Does this date to 30s or 40s or ?

The prices for these are all over the place.
I intend to see it and want to disclose all information and not sure a good price point/
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
Pat

Attachments

• Kenton Cast-Iron Delivery No. 5 Wagon.jpg
    Kenton Cast-Iron Delivery No. 5 Wagon.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Kenton Cast-Iron Delivery No. 5 Wagon3.jpg
    Kenton Cast-Iron Delivery No. 5 Wagon3.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 109

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
It's hard to say exactly when this one was made. They were produced between 1901 and 1950.

This particular model is valued at between $150-$250 for one that is not broken.

This one, for example, is a similar model in very good condition which sold for $225:
tn_MVC-803S.jpg

With the broken axle, I would value it probably around $100. It is probably fixable but it still affects the value.

OP
OP
P

patack

Sep 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, Allen, for responding, and for this information. That certainly seems reasonable, and it's good to know that it is probably fixable.
My other part of the question was what holds to driver section to the axle? It appears there was a rather large washer, but obviously another part as well.
Many thanks,
Pat

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
No there was never a washer on these. The front axle is supposed to attach to the actual wagon frame with a small cast hook that was part of the front axle assembly. On the images you provided, this hook appears to have been broken off.

I tracked down a photo and hopefully it will work if I link it here:
$(KGrHqR,!roFI))CTi!rBSNRgNt0o!~~60_57.JPG

See that little red piece? That is all that attaches the axle to the wagon. The circular wear spot on the bottom of the wagon is caused by friction from the red axle turning and not by the placement of a washer.
The driver should have a similar hook that you push downward through a hole in the seat.

OP
OP
P

patack

Sep 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, Allen, that's interesting. From the roundness and wear, I would have sworn there was a washer.
Yes, drive has a curved hook like "thing" that you slant to put in the hold to seat him.

Once again, many thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread