Kerryville, Ok where was it?

popeye2002

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2007
Have a handwritten treasure map dated from about 1908. The starting place is Kerryville, Ok. It also mentions "8-mile corner". Have always assumed this to be near Miami, Ok since in the letter/map it says to go talk to the lawyer in Miami, Ok. Was this a ghost town or a whistle stop? Have located Kerry's Ferry, but that's it.

Got map from granddaughter of treasure map maker.

Bob in Arkansas

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
Bob,

Kerryville Ok is not listed in my "Oklahoma Place Names" book.
Sorry,

Tom

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I saw a listing of Kellyville not only in Creek Co. which is SW of Sand Springs but also one of a Kellyville in Ottawa County which Miami is in. That one was shown to be Section 10, Township 26 North, Range 24 East. :-\

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
OK Jeff,
What did you do...Google it? ;D

Popeye,
You have signed your name "Bob" and "Dave". Which is it?

TW

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Question: Popeye asked for "Kerryville"....Stoney's find is "Kellyville"....are they the same?

Also, regarding "8 mile corner"... from Wikipedia....

"8 Mile Corner is a monument in the Cimarron National Grassland dedicated to the tri-point (a place where three states meet) of Kansas, Colorado, and Oklahoma. The landmark is a windmill with the three states names on the blades. The monument was built in 1903. Several years ago satellite pictures showed the actual meeting place to be several feet away from the monument. A brass plate in the ground marks this."
---Mel

borninok

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Good point Mel. Sometimes a name is well known locally but outside of the local area it's completely unknown. We have a 9 mile corner which turns towards Fairfax east of Ponca, a 9 mile corner at the end of the blacktop east of Newkirk, a 4 Corners, and south is Bill's Corner, etc. etc.
I understand him hot wanting to give up much info but from 125 miles + distance it's hard to get much closer.

OP
OP
P

popeye2002

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2007
Hey, Guys!
I know about "Kellyville" but the handwriting definitely says "Kerryville" .
The 8 mile corner is VERY INTERESTING. will see how that works with the treasure map. ;D

As far as signing "Bob" and "Dave", ::) I did not do the "Dave" thing, (unless you saw me do it, then maybe I did) ;D My name's Bob.

Thanx, Bob in Arkansas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread