Kettle Scrap??

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Today, I decided to give my usual site a break and went downstream looking for another possible site to work. This place has seen lots of flooding and is popular with squirrel hunters so I have avoided it. But, with it being pretty dang cold today I didn't think the hunters would be out so away I went. I did manage to find this piece. It was by far the deepest target I have dug. It was down 20 inches. Literally. I'm thinking brass kettle scrap, but really I don't know. Can anyone tell me if this is brass kettle scrap or not? Kinda has me excited if it is.

-Swartzie

Attachments

• unknown scrap_a.jpg
    unknown scrap_a.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 393
  • unknown scrap_b.jpg
    unknown scrap_b.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 418
  • unknown scrap_c.jpg
    unknown scrap_c.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 412
Upvote 0

Steve0

Feb 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI, Minelab excalibur
Cannot really tell from the photo. Looks kind of thin but one will never know. Seems to have a lip for something.
I would keep it until you know for sure. Normally the pieces we find are smaller with the average being 1 to 3 inches

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
It sure could be, though I agree it looks unusual. The material looks too thin/flaky, and the color (white/silver/brown?) is not what I'd expect. The rolled edge does seem like it might be from a pot or bucket, though.

If you make a little scratch on it, it might show a copper or brass color under the corrosion?

Here are some examples of what I'd consider kettles and scrap... the first two from the web and the third are some I've found.

Attachments

• upstate NY fur trade kettles etc.jpg
    upstate NY fur trade kettles etc.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,999
  • Indian brass kettles.jpg
    Indian brass kettles.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 695
  • Finds 11-6-11.JPG
    Finds 11-6-11.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 507

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread