Kevins own thread - a journal (but feel free to post random thoughts)

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Panning on the Green River in Utah at Horseshoe Bend south of Vernal. What scenery!

image-1498551289.jpg

Nice view of the southern point of the bend where to cobble reaches down into the river.

image-3406954272.jpg

My lovely wife even tried her hand at panning the tricky GR paydirt!

image-1784168232.jpg

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
image-2226491266.jpg

Hitting some bedrock cracks in American Fork Canyon. Fascinating spot. Only sampled a little but found a few specks and a cool invertebrate fossil.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out for several hours today on Cherry Creek right in downtown Denver. I was there to teach some Greenway Foundation summer camp,counselors to pan so they can help teach a whole summer camp full of kids to pan in a couple weeks. I arrived early so as to find some specks of the real thing right where we met for the training...before they showed up. Yes, I was successful finding gold tho just a little ;)

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like y'all had a great day on the river..:occasion14:

Kevin, I cropped and polished up those pics for ya..

image-3406954272-2.jpg

image-1498551289-2.jpg

image-1784168232-2.jpg

image-2226491266-2.jpg

I've had the itch the past couple days to get out and try some sniping,
and with the weather a bit cooler tomorrow might be a good day for it.

BTW..who found more gold that day? 8-)

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great posts! Thanks for the pix

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like y'all had a great day on the river..:occasion14: Kevin, I cropped and polished up those pics. I've had the itch the past couple days to get out and try some sniping, and with the weather a bit cooler tomorrow might be a good day for it. BTW..who found more gold that day? 8-)
Thanks, the pics look great :) I got a lot more gold than her...she has a pretty shot attention span for this sort of thing ;)
Thats some juicy looking bedrock there! Any sniping to be had in colorado?
Lots of false bedrock (clay) and some sandstone in areas I've been in town. Some of the canyons have gravel up to 80 feet deep right next to visible granite bedrock!

Last edited:

Leonard F.

Feb 11, 2013
Arvada, CO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out for several hours today on Cherry Creek right in downtown Denver. I was there to teach some Greenway Foundation summer camp,counselors to pan so they can help teach a whole summer camp full of kids to pan in a couple weeks. I arrived early so as to find some specks of the real thing right where we met for the training...before they showed up. Yes, I was successful finding gold tho just a little ;)

Kevin, were you near Confluence Park? I was commuting home from work on the bike path and I saw a guy prying up some rocks with a bar and I thought, That looks like Kevin from Treasure Net. Was going to stop and say Hello...

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin, were you near Confluence Park? I was commuting home from work on the bike path and I saw a guy prying up some rocks with a bar and I thought, That looks like Kevin from Treasure Net. Was going to stop and say Hello...
Yup! From about 4:30pm on I was a couple city blocks from Confluence Park upstream on Cherry Creek :) Wish you'd stopped, would have been fun to meet you!

There is predictably gold under that railroad bridge and calm water spots to make teaching newbies easier but it sure isn't the best gold in town or anything :) Still, I love the fact that there is gold right there downtown AND that we are allowed to dig it!

Here's my take after processing about half the cons from this visit:

image-683476326.jpg

...all tiny fly poop really but enough to show the camp staff that there's really gold right there in the creek.

PS I was only panning for this, no sluice.

Last edited:

Leonard F.

Feb 11, 2013
Arvada, CO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup! From about 4:30pm on I was a couple city blocks from Confluence Park upstream on Cherry Creek :) Wish you'd stopped, would have been fun to meet you!

There is predictably decent gold under that railroad bridge and calm water spots to make teaching newbies easier but it sure isn't the best gold in town or anything :) Still, I love the fact that there is gold right there downtown AND that we are allowed to dig it!

Next time I see you, I will stop.

A lot of places to prospect along the 12 mile stretch from Confluence to the reservoir. I need to get a small trailer for my bike, load up my Bazooka and other gear, and start doing some digging after work.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Next time I see you, I will stop. A lot of places to prospect along the 12 mile stretch from Confluence to the reservoir. I need to get a small trailer for my bike, load up my Bazooka and other gear, and start doing some digging after work.
That's a great idea! The gold along that route varies quite a bit in amount and even size. Seek out the hot spots and you may be surprised at how good you do :)
Hints: avoid heavily sanded over areas, hit the classic inside bends and places where there are bigger rocks, under bridges is often good, seek out natural areas where the creek is not 'engineered' but do test if the material looks good even where it is clearly channeled. Oh, and show off your results here!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold and an old bullet casing from Cherry Creek the other day:

image-3038978534.jpg

Some of the gold from the American Fork crack cleaning:

image-2600539009.jpg

...this stuff is SO fine! I used some mercury to soak it all up. Total was about 3x what's in the pic. I will definitely look forward to getting back there!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To everyone reading this... So at what point is too little gold time to move on in your opinions?
when you find more elsewhere!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Took the afternoon off of work and, along with another guy, I volunteered at a summer camp for the afternoon teaching elementary school kids to pan. Great fun and most of the kids found a few specks of gold too :) We were in Cherry Creek, right in downtown Denver. Good times!

Oh and yes of course me and the other guys stayed and did some sample pans in various spots there and in a place I wanted to check out so I brought a few flakes home for my vial too :)

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To everyone reading this...

So at what point is too little gold time to move on in your opinions?

A dollar.:treasurechest: It really depends Sherry. Some considerations;

A. Effort;
Time, energy output, weight, the hike etc.... All of these are intangibles.

B.Cost;
Equipment, fuel and trans, parking etc...

We;ll figure food, drink and other would be consumed either way and leave 'em out.

Return:

Gold, yea lots of GOLD that's what I want!!!That's all that really counts now, isn't it?

I spent more than a year(s) getting a dollar at a place that cost about the same. (Five miles from home.) I'm happy with it for a bunch of reasons. Time good. 15 minutes drive round trip. Under a half gallon in gas. Damn near break even. Other options are an hour drive (East Fork) or more. Can I make up for those dollars spent driving 2 hrs RT. 100 miles is $55 according to the AAA/IRS. That means I gotta find a DWT (1.5grams) to break even. What's my chance of that? Gotta head up north for that. But then Quadruple the miles and time, add lodging or camping, etc... Oh and don't forget the time... and on and on...:dontknow:

If you are talking a particular place or similar cost options well...nevermind:censored:

The point is; My best shot at coming out ahead may be to be happy with the dollar.:occasion14: Oh, by the way are you heading to EF tomorrow? I'll be headed up:tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread