Kevins own thread - a journal (but feel free to post random thoughts)

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Aha! For the 48 prospector I put the 5 gallon buckets shovel pans waders cooler and the BGT into a big trash can with wheels on it. Much better for carrying. Also it's watertight. So that one time I forgot my bucket I just dumped the sluice in the can and rinsed it into the bucket at home.. hahah oops! I should post a pic of my sanford and son sluice hauler for y'all. I cut the top off so I didn't kick it around while I was pulling it. Edit: You guys ever think about "stand by me"'ing over that railroad bridge to get to the big inside bend on the southeast shore? :D
The trash barrel is a great idea...cheap way to get wheels and a handle!

The only trains I've seen on that bridge were moving about 3 mph so yes, could do that. Good gold over there too (so I'm told).

Sideways Sherry

May 7, 2014
Currently in Arden, NC. Previously in SoCal, NoCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Aha! For the 48 prospector I put the 5 gallon buckets shovel pans waders cooler and the BGT into a big trash can with wheels on it. Much better for carrying. Also it's watertight. So that one time I forgot my bucket I just dumped the sluice in the can and rinsed it into the bucket at home.. hahah oops! I should post a pic of my sanford and son sluice hauler for y'all. I cut the top off so I didn't kick it around while I was pulling it. Edit: You guys ever think about "stand by me"'ing over that railroad bridge to get to the big inside bend on the southeast shore? :D

P70,
I love the Sanford and Son sluice hauler reference! ;-)

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I may have found a Sanford trash hauler for about $10. Used only for recycling stuff, not garbage. Depends on the wheel size. I want the large wheels, not the smaller ones. The bigger ones would help going over cobbles and other rough terrain.

johna2231

Greenie
Jul 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the kids I work with don't even know what Sanford and Son is! LOL. I saw that SS hauler myself down by Big Bend one day-- looked like cutting edge of funcionality to me! Great idea!

I was eyeing that "stand by me bridge" myself (and the gravel bar on the east side) when we went down there last Friday. What do y'all think?

Kevin, my buddy Jared and I were digging right next to the hole I think you were working. About a foot and a half down we hit a darker layer -- grey and black soil. I wonder if that was clay? Next time I'll stop when I start hitting the darker stuff and do a clean out. Then compare the two.

Had a lot of fun down there!! Thanks for the tip.

John

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most of the kids I work with don't even know what Sanford and Son is! LOL. I saw that SS hauler myself down by Big Bend one day-- looked like cutting edge of funcionality to me! Great idea! I was eyeing that "stand by me bridge" myself (and the gravel bar on the east side) when we went down there last Friday. What do y'all think? Kevin, my buddy Jared and I were digging right next to the hole I think you were working. About a foot and a half down we hit a darker layer -- grey and black soil. I wonder if that was clay? Next time I'll stop when I start hitting the darker stuff and do a clean out. Then compare the two. Had a lot of fun down there!! Thanks for the tip. John

Loved Sanford and Son back in the day! Not so sure if it matches today's taste in comedy though...

There is gold on that east side bar, or so I'm told. I've certainly seen people over there occasionally.

That dark layer is not clay. It has a lot of garnets and black sand. Sometimes there, and in Clear Creek, it is productive, sometimes not...so your testing idea is very smart.

Glad you enjoyed it, there's just something about that area that makes me relax when I'm there :)

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin I think that something. Is the yellow metal called gold. If I found gold like that I would be very relaxed. Thanks for sharing.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I may have found a Sanford trash hauler for about $10. Used only for recycling stuff, not garbage. Depends on the wheel size. I want the large wheels, not the smaller ones. The bigger ones would help going over cobbles and other rough terrain.

Turns out the seller, who did not post a picture, had NO wheels at all on the bins. Sigh.

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Turns out the seller, who did not post a picture, had NO wheels at all on the bins. Sigh.

What about one of those big fishing wagons?

DSC00090-1.jpg

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wouldn't handle the hills very well but otherwise a good idea. The bigger the wheels the better!

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the kids I work with don't even know what Sanford and Son is! LOL. I saw that SS hauler myself down by Big Bend one day-- looked like cutting edge of funcionality to me! Great idea!

I was eyeing that "stand by me bridge" myself (and the gravel bar on the east side) when we went down there last Friday. What do y'all think?

Kevin, my buddy Jared and I were digging right next to the hole I think you were working. About a foot and a half down we hit a darker layer -- grey and black soil. I wonder if that was clay? Next time I'll stop when I start hitting the darker stuff and do a clean out. Then compare the two.

John

Indeed you did! It was a pleasure meeting you, I can't wait to get up to big bend again. I may dang well head over the bridge to the other side, I'll have them take pics of me 50 feet in the air running with that Sanford and Son Sluice hauler haha! You use what you can find. lol. I cut the top off with a piece of metal heated with a torch. A five gallon bucket(s) fit perfectly on the bottom, the bgt 48 popped up out of the top. The old timer keene sluice fits right in front of the buckets. shovel slides down the side. It's really rough on cobble, but I can drag it up and down the banks of the platte with no problem and its a dream compared to my old method (Balance everything on the shovel like I'm carrying water...).
It looks like this:
HD_6758_M.jpg

KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

John

I actually had to google what Sanford and son was, so I can assume the same thing will happen in 30 years with the big bang theory

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You all are so funny! I loved Sandford & Son back in the day and TBBT now too!

I got out for an hour or so yesterday to a local creek... 0.12 grams of beautiful Colorado placer 😄 I was on a tiny creek so I built a solid dam and ran the whole creek flow thru my Bazooka Prospector. Was SOOO nice to be outside on the stream. I wore river sandals and quickly had numb feet, last time in sandals until next spring I guess :(

Hope you all are getting some gold!

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are doing quite well, as always

..and as always; Heavy Pans my friend. :)

KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You all are so funny! I loved Sandford & Son back in the day and TBBT now too!

I got out for an hour or so yesterday to a local creek... 0.12 grams of beautiful Colorado placer �� I was on a tiny creek so I built a solid dam and ran the whole creek flow thru my Bazooka Prospector. Was SOOO nice to be outside on the stream. I wore river sandals and quickly had numb feet, last time in sandals until next spring I guess :(

Hope you all are getting some gold!

i've literally gone through my cons from my last trips(just a guess) 20 times because I haven't made it out in months
sheldon cooper.png
p.s. we have to use big bang theory references from now on

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the new season started, we went to my friend's house and got take out. We watched the 2 rerun episodes on Fox and then the new one on CBS. I got the low sodium soy sauce and the hot mustard from the deli. Am I a nerd or what.

Before school started we would have nerd night on Thursdays. But now he has class on Thursdays (he's the prof). We relate to the show so much, we're both nerds and both worked at university.

How's that for straying off topic!!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On topic or off ...it's all welcome here. We get back to the gold topics soon enough!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Regarding the Sanford and Son sluice hauler...

Here's a site with some interesting products with balloon wheels for traveling over sand and I'm pretty sure it would work well on rocks too.

Beach Wheel Conversion Kits- from Wheeleez, Inc.

Yes, I am sure it would, but the costs are way too high. Conversion kits run about $200 up. Great idea but not cost effective for the gold I am getting here in Colorado.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread