Kevins own thread - a journal (but feel free to post random thoughts)

Scooby903

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1112508 ...gold from yesterday and
View attachment 1112509 ...from today.

Same creek, yesterday was midstream, today was inside curve. Even in an 8' wide creek it matters!

Update: mid creek 0.22 grams, inside bend 0.78 grams so two hours in two days for exactly 1.00 grams...I'll take that anytime!

Jeez...can't wait until I get my Bazooka!

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1112508 ...gold from yesterday and
View attachment 1112509 ...from today.

Same creek, yesterday was midstream, today was inside curve. Even in an 8' wide creek it matters!

Update: mid creek 0.22 grams, inside bend 0.78 grams so two hours in two days for exactly 1.00 grams...I'll take that anytime!

Wow; beautiful stuff there. And I was teaching chemistry to semi-bored cadets yesterday. Sigh. Still, I will hit the Denver area sometime this winter...when weather, time and circumstances come together.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm curious as to whether you are working spots, there in the Denver metro area, where you shovel directly or do you collect in buckets and dump or both? Am i right in assuming most of your feed is from submerged material? Oh, by the way, impressive finds.

I can answer that! Having worked with Kevin, he prefers to shovel right into the Bazooka, if possible. We have stood in the middle of the Platte, digging right in front of the sluice so we don't have to carry and we definitely don't have to classify. He will bucket and carry stuff when he cannot get a suitable place to set up his sluice near to where he wants to dig.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can answer that! Having worked with Kevin, he prefers to shovel right into the Bazooka, if possible. We have stood in the middle of the Platte, digging right in front of the sluice so we don't have to carry and we definitely don't have to classify. He will bucket and carry stuff when he cannot get a suitable place to set up his sluice near to where he wants to dig.

Exactly right Dave as you well know! In this case the creek was flat water so I built a dam. With 6" of head from the dam, the Bazooka works great and I just stood a foot upstream of the dam and shoveled like heck for an hour!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm curious as to whether you are working spots, there in the Denver metro area, where you shovel directly or do you collect in buckets and dump or both? Am i right in assuming most of your feed is from submerged material? Oh, by the way, impressive finds.
Yes, all submerged creek bed material, shoveled straight into the sluice, only use for a bucket is to clean out the sluice...and thanks for the kudos!

really liking that flake! did you see it slide down the slick plate?

No visibility on the slick plate, nope not a bit. I run it too steep for that.

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin the only thing where shoveling in New England is snow. Your getting my gold fever boiling. Nice find.

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin the only thing where shoveling in New England is snow. Your getting my gold fever boiling. Nice find.

Can you send some to NorCal? It's so warm I have allergies and I'm getting bitten by mosquitoes! Would LOVE to have snow to shovel!

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The city of Nashua N.H is giving it away. To any one that will come and get it. They just got 30 plus inches. And no place to put it. And possibly another 12" Monday.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin's own thread - a journal (but feel free to post random thoughts)

Got out at lunchtime for 45 min of actual digging in my honey hole today. My hole was partway filled in with light sand due to the ongoing movement of sand in the creek but I still did really well. Ran the Bazooka Sniper today since the creek level was pretty low.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423205289.236592.jpg
-50, 30-50, +30 A total of 0.54 grams...that'll pay for lunch lol!

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jeff my wife started dancing when I played the video :D And yes, I was pretty thrilled by the number of larger flakes! Can't wait for the next time I get out...

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think that hole is going to pay for. The truck and camper. Very nice find.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Heres a goody for you Kevin,
from the Dale district south Calif, probably a miner from the colo mines ? the guys put it on the arm of the old arrastra.
Hope you enjoy.
GT.............

View attachment 1116457

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think that hole is going to pay for. The truck and camper. Very nice find.

Hey there's a great thought! Not too likely but I know a guy that paid for a brand new GM Yukon with gold he panned so...you never know!

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin's own thread - a journal (but feel free to post random thoughts)

Got out today. Dug dirt for another tnetter, sluiced for about 30 min until it got dark and sadly learned that the right leg of my chest waders has sprung a leak. Brrrr.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats Kevin! That is some nice lunch pay! With the size of those bigger pickers, I would bet that it won't be long before you start pulling out some real lunkers.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions