Key Collectors

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Those keys are so cool!!! I wish we still used skeleton keys today.

Fantastic collection!

-CC

lostdutchman

Sep 22, 2006
I always thought there was something mysterious and artful about the skeleton key...Maybe from all the old mystery novels...great collection

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Lost dutch.

The skeleton key is old, and with old comes the past. If its old enough the past and experiences have been worn into an object. Keys work perfectly for this hold. Hence, the magical "aura" you feel when you hold a real skeleton key that was last used over 100 years ago. A connection is made from then to now. Its short lasting, but powerful all the same.

-CC

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice!

hh

lonewolfe

insulator245

Jan 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre!
Ive always been a fan of those old skeleton keys... My grandfather showed me his collection about 4 years ago and thats what got me started. He had around 10000 I think and I only have 6 ;D

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are truely a key player.
-MM-

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Johnny Cache Hunter,
I'm researching a site along the Pennsylvania RR and found a key the look almost exactly like the one you posted marker PRR. Do you know if there is a way to date the key and how would you clean one? I don't want to decrease the value even though I don't sell any of my old finds. Just the clad and modern jewelry get sold off.

I would appreciate any input from you or others...Thanks

P.S. Gypsy - Nice collection and thanks for posting them.

G

garbage digger

I collect old keys as well however I sure don't have as many as you do. Very nice collection indeed.

davidpitt

Oct 1, 2011
I also like to collect the keys. I really like the different skeleton designed for keys according to the locks. It really makes us to think the internal structure of locks.

ncsilverspider

Jul 24, 2011
Rowan County, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizim III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[size=10pt][size=10pt]Keep an eye out for old RR keys [/size] [/size] they go for some good money, particularly when marked with desirable rail lines. They can run the gamet going anywhere from $1 or 2 dollars up to $300 or more.

That is alot of great keys! I use to collect keys (my parents thought I was crazy!) I still have them, just scatteres! I'll see if I can gather some for you! Johnny Cache Hunter, did you find those? I am desperately trying to find a Southern Ry. switch-lock key, which is the kind you have in the pics. (I am a genuine, fortified trainnut!) I have only seen one switch-lock key in an antique store, for $20.00! It seems everyone is finding more rr keys (or rr related items, for that matter) in the ground than I am in stores! Those are some nice keys! Good luck! HH!

turkeylegs39

Jun 20, 2012
Illinios
Detector(s) used
Eyes and Ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the keys I have found. Who else in the forum collects keys? I have quite a few....but like the skeleton ones the best. Any one who doesnt want theirs can send to me! :)

I recently (a year or two ago) was going through a stamp collection my father bought and found three or four keys that look similar. Unfortunately I didn't think anything of them at the time and misplaced them now, I now have to go on a quest through the house to find them again!

Rich in Houston

Nov 30, 2003
Houston,Katy TX.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro UMax, Cortez & Tejon, Fisher CZ20,
Garrett GTA 1000, AT Pro & AT Max. Minelab Equanox600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Only one so far.

Attachments

• image-2472160086.jpg
    image-2472160086.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 96

Rich in Houston

Nov 30, 2003
Houston,Katy TX.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro UMax, Cortez & Tejon, Fisher CZ20,
Garrett GTA 1000, AT Pro & AT Max. Minelab Equanox600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll never get that many though..

Last edited:

Paleopilot

Dec 4, 2012
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[size=10pt][size=10pt]Keep an eye out for old RR keys [/size] [/size] they go for some good money, particularly when marked with desirable rail lines. They can run the gamet going anywhere from $1 or 2 dollars up to $300 or more.
Thanks for the info, I have a few keys also. Someday I'll go through them and see just what they are. I LOVE old keys and paddlocks.

Attachments

• Keys 001.JPG
    Keys 001.JPG
    336 KB · Views: 133
  • Keys 002.JPG
    Keys 002.JPG
    364.7 KB · Views: 136
  • Keys 003.JPG
    Keys 003.JPG
    506.2 KB · Views: 144

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread