Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trash, Trash, and More trash. Lived there for 7 years. Made finds -- but ya really gotta work for them.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hunted there in past years and can tell you it is a lot of fun. Lots of targets though most are trash because most hunters threw the junk back on the ground instead of putting it in the other pocket of the pouch. This was of course a few years ago and I found a few sweet rings and a huge rock star chain on Smathers but never did hunt Higgs. The sand was like sugar grains but they might have sucked up more sand from off shore. But no telling what else they might have sucked up too is the way I like to think of it.

Good Luck and don't forget the pictures.
Sandman

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hopefully "Old Town" is still lurking about so he can add to this, but my impression from his earlier posts were that those beaches were kind of a let down.

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
I lived in Key West for about 6 months in 2005. Spent a lot of time on the beach hunting. That is where I got my first real taste for Metal detecting. Over the course of 6 months I found 2 gold rings, 2 silver rings, about $56.00 in change and of course a lot of trash. Most of what I found was in the dry/wet sand, not in the water. (I was not experienced in water hunting at the time) I found stuff on almost every beach where people swim (mostly Higgs Beach), but you can tell from what I found over a 6 month period, it was not like picking cherries from a tree. The island is coral and has almost no natural sand, it is all brought in from off shore, so depending on how much sand they have put onto the beaches for the tourists, there may be few or no targets. It is worth a try. You need to check with your cruise line to make sure you can bring your metal detector on board. The last NCL cruise I took, they did not allow you to take your detector on board. I will say that if I were going back to Key West for a visit, I would want to detect one of the beaches. Good luck and happy hunting. Ralph

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do not hunted in this beach but it sure will be fun .... enjoy the cruise. :thumbsup:
Happy New Year!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread