KGC gets mention in AP story, SW Indiana

Acutely Treed

Tenderfoot
Jul 20, 2011
Washington, IN
Primary Interest:
Other
I seen this local story mentioning the KGC.
Evansville Courier & Press...Monday, August 1, 2011
Local & Regional column, Sullivan Co. looks to digitize Civil War
*Project will preserve era artifacts to post in on-line database, AP story, Sullivan, Ind.
I'll try giving a short run down on this writeup. The Sullivan County Historical Society through a collaborated program with Indiana State University are working with Wabash Valley Visions & Voices to collect and preserve Civil war era items. One of the items being preserved is.
An 1862 flag presented by Gov. Oliver P. Morton to the "home guard" from Carlisle in Sullivan Co. that was displayed from the schoolhouse cupola only to be later shot down from it by members of the KGC. A president of the historical society says that the secret society of the Knights of the Golden Circle had a strong presence in that county.
The flag is described as made of silk with six stripes of red and white. Mostly all the blue field of stars were then also ripped away from it as a symbolic gesture to separate the Union.
When this story came out so far 1,200 items had been imaged in Vigo Co. for archives. And a director expects as many 800 additional items donated by expanding the program into Sullivan Co.
In the article county historian remarks about how significant this flags survival demonstrates the United States can't be destroyed and can still be held together.
I thought this article worth mentioning. signed, Acutly Treed

DHaze

Aug 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats my local paper too! Didnt see the article thanks for sharing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread