Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to stir things up, and I really hope somebody will prove me wrong on these suppositions
The KGC did exist. They were merely an organization of upper elite southerners who didn't really have to fight in the war. They formed what was basically a gentlemen's club. They could sit around and talk about what they would do if this or that happened.
They didn't hide trillions or billions or millions or even a couple of thousand in gold for the south's future rise. They didn't have it, and if they did they wanted to keep it for themselves.
There were no sentinels that served through the generations guarding depositories. There were no depositories. But you could get killed for getting to close to a still in those areas.
There are caches hidden, but they are purely for selfish reasons, not to finance the rise of the South again.
It will be really cool if somebody can come in and refute each of these points with solid, undeniable info.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, SouthArk. I been to that web site many times. I'll admit I played devil's advocate some in my post, because that's the best way to stir somebody up who will post info we don't know. As to what I believe about it, my family fought for the south, but they were very poor and weren't up to the level of the KGC. They would probably be the last ones you'd want to put in charge of guarding a treasure. Also, I've read Hillbilly Bob's book about 20 times, and it's still good every time I read it. If there are sentinels, you can bet those boys would be up to date and watching web sites like these. My official position in that case is it ain't mine, I don't know anything about it, and I ain't gonna touch it.

SouthArk

Mar 23, 2005
South-Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Detector Pro Pirate, Troy Shadow X-5, Fisher F75
When detecting for Civil War relics at a certain location in south Arkansas, my relic hunting partners and I found a very old beech tree with very cryptic markings on it. One of my buddies outlined the markings with a piece of chalk and took some pics. He posted them, I believe, on this website. That was, maybe, a couple of years ago, or so. Several of the replies insinuated the KGB in regards to these markings. I'll have to look around here and see if I can find the old post he had made.

SouthArk

Mar 23, 2005
South-Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
SWR, I haven't committed one way or the other in this matter. I have just stated my observance of this one tree. And I found the original post from my buddy..... it's under Treasure Marks/Signs in this website...... just a few forums down from this one. It was posted in December '05 by d-2. I don't remember reading any post in the thread mentioning the KGB, but d-2 did have a bunch of emails from folks for quite some time.... in regards to KGB treasure troves.

And I guess insinuations are all we have in regards to the Lost Dutchman's Mine, but it doesn't keep folks from trying to find it! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I told you this was the best way to stir up some info, SouthArk. I'll check those posts out, too. I suppose South Arkansas would appreciate promoting secret buried Confederate treasure, as there ain't much else goin on down there, and it would break up the monotony and maybe bring in the occasional rich tourist who will buy somethin. (And I'm joking. My family is from down there. If people did research particularly about SW Arkansas, they would be amazed at the history. Besides my family in Posey Holler, near Mena. Or Mener.)

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
RGINN said:
I told you this was the best way to stir up some info, SouthArk. I'll check those posts out, too. I suppose South Arkansas would appreciate promoting secret buried Confederate treasure, as there ain't much else goin on down there, and it would break up the monotony and maybe bring in the occasional rich tourist who will buy somethin. (And I'm joking. My family is from down there. If people did research particularly about SW Arkansas, they would be amazed at the history. Besides my family in Posey Holler, near Mena. Or Mener.)
Ya ain't never really been to Arkeesaw unless ya have had your picture taken by the statue of Popeye the Sailor Man like I got ;D

SouthArk

Mar 23, 2005
South-Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Here's a little something that seems to be topical! Just happened to have it saved in "My Pictures".

By the way, my Avatar is General Joe Shelby. does anyone know what he is noted for ?

Attachments

• KGC.gif
    KGC.gif
    7.6 KB · Views: 314
OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, MJ, I really hadn't seen that forum before. SouthArk, old Iron Brigade, General Shelby, never surrendered. He went to Mexico but did return to Missouri eventually. He was very popular with the people. I can think of at least 3 distant cousins who have the name 'Shelby' somewhere in their given names, even today.

SouthArk

Mar 23, 2005
South-Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
RGINN, You should have disqualified yourself from answering that question! :D It was much too easy for you! 'specially sine you have all those "Shelby"s in your family tree! :notworthy:

He was one heck of a cavalry officer...... probably the best!

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Afternoon swr: you posted,-->

"What I would like to know, is why did you post the fantasy Knights of the Golden Circle symbol?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why not ? it 'is' about the KGC, no??

Don Jose de La Mancha

SouthArk

Mar 23, 2005
South-Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
SWR, I'm a math teacher, and I love Euclidean Geometry. I happened to have it stored in the computer, and since RGINN began this thread, I thought it would meet with his theme. Have I misunderstood something?

In your second post in this thread you mentioned that "plausible evidence would be appreciated." In the many posts in the threads on this subject, I personally think this has been achieved.

plausible
1. having an appearance of truth or reason; seemingly worthy of approval or acceptance; credible; believable: a plausible excuse; a plausible plot.
2. well-spoken and apparently, but often deceptively, worthy of confidence or trust: a plausible commentator.

1. Plausible, describes that which has the appearance of truth but might be deceptive. The person or thing that is plausible strikes the superficial judgment favorably; it may or may not be true: a plausible argument (one that cannot be verified or believed in entirely).

In reviewing many of your 4500+ posts, you seem very fond of this term in regards to your requests of others. I think that many of the posts referring to the KGB would fit these criteria. However, I will defer to the experts in regards to the KGB, because I surely ain't one....... I'm just an old fogie living in the backwoods of Arkansas. :wink:

RGINN, I kinda like stirring the pot a bit, myself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SouthArk

Mar 23, 2005
South-Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Yeah, I think that symbol I posted is really a rendition of St. Gilbert's Cross superimposed over the Masonic Square and Compass. But, it does make for a pretty neat symbol for some group. :wav:

shroompics

Greenie
Aug 13, 2009
Sunriver, OR
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not offering an opinion, but there is a book(let) in the public domain supposedly written by a 'member' of the KGC that makes interesting reading (An_Authentic_exposition_of_the__K_G_C__) written and published in 1861 by Charles O. Perrine (search Google Books for the PDF file and download it for free). Also, on the picture of the book cover, and a few pages later, is a symbol consisting of a triangle with numbers in the corner, and a letter R over a line over 61. If you read some of the book, you learn what the significance of '61' and many other numbers represent. I would guess that this is an original 'symbol' of the KGC.

There was also an official government report in Indiana warning about the activities of the KGC that I have misplaced. If I can find it I'll post it.

Shroompics

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
RGINN said:
The KGC did exist...
They didn't hide trillions or billions or millions or even a couple of thousand in gold for the south's future rise.

Legends are much more interesting when fabulous wealth is involved. How many of these enduring legends center around ordinary folk or people who reject material things, etc?

Cities of gold, caves full of jewels, cryptic maps to same, secret hoards, etc etc are all much more captivating.

Plausibility? We don' need no stinkin' plausibility. ;D

Jay

shroompics

Greenie
Aug 13, 2009
Sunriver, OR
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks SWR for the welcome. I'm a newbie to the MD'ing scene although I've owned my vintage Eagle Spectum for quite a few years. I've been enjoying the researching part of the hobby, which is what brought me to this discussion. I saw the comments on the 'fantasy KGC symbol' so I thought I'd toss in what I had seen in my reading. They also had a crescent moon with a row of stars in it that was part of their symbolism. I think the written historical evidence says that the KGC did exist. Whether they accumulated valuables to support their cause and hid it around, I can't say. Sorry if this is not in the right sub-forum.

Thanks again, and Hi to all.

Shroompics

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's my thread, shroompics, you and anybody else can post anything y'all want on it. I appreciate any info I might not have known before. Thanks to us, KGC is now more famous than they ever were.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread