All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
OK i'll give it a try( don't shoot me if I'm wrong) Higher khz machines detect lower conductor metals better (i.e. gold). Lower khz machines detect higher conductor metals better ( i.e. silver,copper). This doesn't mean all detectors aren't capable of detecting metal in these ranges, just where they are more proficient. Most gold detectors are higher khz and most general hobby machines are lower, follow me?? Some frequencies seem to be better suited or tuned in to certain metals. This is how I understand it anyhow.........

Greg

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
High KHz is better at finding: small targets and low conductive targets.
Low KHz is better at finding: big targets and high conductive targets.

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine
The high freq. usually has a harder time discriminating out iron because iron is a has low conductivity. The 3KHz coil on my xterra is much more pleasant to use in high iron enviorments because it is less sensitive to iron.

Willy

Generally, the higher the frequency, the better the sensitivity to low conductors (like gold) and the greater the difficulty dealing with ground mineralization but.. it seems that the newer detectors are bucking this trend. with advances in digital filtering and gain, it seems that this is no longer true. 13 KHz detectors are approaching the sensitivity of 40+ KHz detectors and I've seen some lower frequency stuff that was quite impressive. it seems to me that a fair amount of the lack of sensitivity exhibited on lower frequency detectors is merely a function of 'capping' the abilities of a detector. Then again, I might just be chock fulla cr@p. ..Willy.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, lower frequencies penetrate deeper into the ground as they don't interact with matter as much as the higher frequencies.

TBGO

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Willy is correct about the 13kHz range responsiveness to low conductives from newer generation software driven units. A unit such as the F-75 demonstrates sensitivity to small gold that "nips closely at the heels" of higher frequencies, while arguably having better tough ground mineral handling capability and better response to deeper, larger low conductives. Firmly established ideas regarding frequencies will have to bend somewhat to accomodate the performance results obtained from the F-75 or any similar units.

OP
OP
deathhare

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys :thumbsup: