Kicked out of park

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
It's been awhile since I was kicked out of a county park for metal detection, and at the time I posted it on this thread:

Kicked out of Park

Last Monday I was at our local gold prospectors club, and one of our County Commissioners joined the club that night. So I zeroed in on him, and bent his ear. The outcome of that is he contacted the County Parks Director, and I've just been notified to call the Director, and he will reexamine county policy regarding panning and detecting, with MY help.

So everyone, I don't want to blow this, please help, give me some good ideas to present to the man. This is a huge county with lots of parks, and I'd like to see a president set that others could refer to. I don't have a lot of time, so, HELP please.

I have this posted in General Discussion, and 94 people have looked at it, and not one suggestion. HELP, I wanna do it right.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The one problem is that theyre money grubbing politicians,hit em where it hurts sue them.

ezman604

Jan 8, 2014
West Coast of Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Bud 220 Select
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the government. And you will have to focus on HOW it will benefit them and what they can gain from changing the policy. I'd suggest focusing on how much TRASH a responsible MD'er will clean up if allowed to get permission to sweep a park. The park will be in better shape before you leave. To control it, have them require a free or low cost permit of any person wishing to detect there. Have them sign a liability agreement to not damage the property?
Hmmmm....that one might or might not be a good idea. :)

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly print up a small booklet of rules, and after said detectorist has passed a written test issue that person a permit (Free). If said person has been caught violating, he looses his permit for a year, or fine that person, similar to a drivers license. Just for starters!

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, both are good ideas.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a piece of bent metal or a broken bottle with the cap on it and tell him you found these in the grass, not only are you helping clean up but possibly stopping a injury to young people. just a thought. Also show him your digging tool or how to dig in grass with a flap on it.

ATPro2014

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2014
Maryland USA
Detector(s) used
Garret AT PRO ALL TERRAIN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt artifacts for educational purpose. I mount my artifacts to picture and story , i donate most finds to schools after preserving them .I do not sell or make profit for anything i find .I repair all marks i make in recovery the best i can back to normal .

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the input, I'm playing phone tag with the Parks Director right now, so still don't have an appointment with him.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
I would keep it simple. Safety and clean-up. If you overload them with details they will tune out and ignore you. Be very humble from the start. Do some research on other activities they have been pushing in the community and compliment them on it. Ask them to tell you more about those things. Offer to take them for a brief hunt and then buy them a beer/coffee afterwards so they can see what it is really like.

Remember, they are not your friends. You are trying to sell them something. Dress well and do more listening then talking. The more they talk...the better off you are. They will ask you questions if they want to...try not to push too much information on them. The details are the least important thing...the presentation will make or break it. Keep it simple...keep it safe.

Let us know how it turns out,
Crispin

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, yeah, I'll post how it turns out.

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Meeting with the parks director tomorrow morning. Will post what he says tomorrow evening.

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Met with the parks director today. Now we have to take it to the advisory board in February. He said the reason they shut MD'ing down was sprinkler heads were being broken off from people aggressively digging. I think we'll be able to hunt after the next meeting, but I don't think they will allow cutting plugs. Looks like it will be probe only on the grass. The director wants people to be allowed to hunt, just not so there will be anymore broken up sprinkler heads, and he will put in a good word for us at the advisory board meeting, when we go end of next month. Two of us went to see him today, and he offered to give us notes allowing us to hunt, then he offered to let the club hunt, but we turned him down, wanting it to be everyone with known rules. The guy I was with sells detectors, but that's OK, I agree with him, if anyone can do it, everyone should be allowed to, it's public property meant for recreation for everyone. The director even admitted to us that dogs were a bigger problem. 2% of people using detectors cause us problems and 2% percent of dog owners do the same. There is a leash rule, but I guess they just had an unattended pit bull kill a small dog. So that's were it stands now, I think we'll get detecting back. We'll show a video on how a probe is used, and they will probably allow digging plugs in the camping areas where there is no grass.
PS Just remembered, he suggested we hunt the frisbe golf section of the park. So I think he's on our side, will support us, but not aggressively, we are going to have to do the convincing of the others.

Last edited:

DIGDAWG

Dec 16, 2013
OC CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB X-TERRA & GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of shovel is the Moron using to dig plugs with ? A back hoe...? Sorry to but in, but it seems to find the person responsible for the vandalism and blowing it all for the rest of you good citizens should be the one punished. Carry on....Happy Hunting!/B]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread