deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I gave up detecting a site this morning I had been at years ago...by years I mean mid 80's.

My arms and wrists were hurting from a trying day at work the day before and the sun was getting high overhead. The humidity and heat were rapidly rising.

I had managed a small audience of children, 3 brothers ranging in age I guess from about 6 to maybe 12. The eldest was quite curious about detecting and I was actually enjoying explaining the workings of my DFX to him. He was quite excited I let him dig a hole.

The ground was like concrete....we need some rain. It was a ballpark that as a young child myself, I had watched fireworks sitting on a blanket with my family...just like quite a few other familys. Just a little history anyhow...that was early 1960's...so I figure...it's been hit hard...and I'm right...plus by myself.

So anyhow.....I get this poor, lonely kids' whole life history as he's following me around...how his dad is gone and how he lives with his "pappy" and how he remembered his dad metal detecting......quite a tale!

So..."pappy" shows up!

He's waving his hand in front of him...speaking in a loud tone..."Sprinkler lines...sprinkler lines....EVERYWHERE!!!"

I tried to explain to him I knew what a sprinkler line was...he was insistant I stop...immediately.
His grandson was just in the process of digging a coin...and the ahole freeked out.

When the kid tried to finish finding his coin...the old "pappy" said.."Get your hands out of there, it's nothing but dirt!"

I really felt so bad for that kid....losing his dad and being adopted by some grumpy old Ahole of a grandfather.

But...in the ahole's defense.....some metal detectorists had gone thru there and punctured waterlines in the sprinkler system....at least according to "pappy"...who just happened to be one of the maintainence guys.

Plastic lines don't detect and I guess if you get a signal...and it just happens to be under the plastic line....OOOPPPS!
And as hard as that ground was....I guess in reality...I could just as well punctured one. He did tell me I could detect the infield of the ball field...no sprinklers in there....but I also took the opportyunity to find out the grounds had been resodded...which meant probably most of the goodies had been hauled out and replaced.

Just a different kind of day.......something learned...met another ahole...and some poor lonely kid....oh...and 3 cents. Never did recover the "kids" coin.

Al

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Bummer. At least ole grumpy let you continue to detect. Could have been a lot worse.

Nice story, but I feel sorry for the kid. Not all kids have happy child hoods, unfortunately. Poppy may be a nice guy at home, you may have caught him on one of his off days.

LOL He probably went home telling every one about another one of those darn detector types digging up the sprinklers again. LOL

Just chalk it up to one of those days......

Ray S

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story, but I feel sorry for the kid. Not all kids have happy child hoods, unfortunately. Poppy may be a nice guy at home, you may have caught him on one of his off days.

We have to remember that we all have "one of those days." Always smile and say, "Yes Sir" and move on.

OP
OP
deepskyal

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea...it was getting hot and muggy...he was doin his chores...old, heavy-set...huffin and puffin..(worse than me)...

Thats what I did...just packed it up...

Still felt bad for the boys tho.

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread