Kid Metal detector

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey "Tneters"
I am a 11 year old that has been CRH for about 3-4 months now. After a while metal detecting seemed cool. I have a budget of 50-100$. I was wondering if the Bounty Hunter BHJS Junior is a good metal detector. If you have one or know about one please help me! Thanks!

How about a second hand model. For the money you have you maybe able to get a slightly older model but packed with a few more features.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
The BH Junior is a good unit in its price range (typically about $60), very easy to learn how to use, and capable of a decent performance in urban settings where digging deep is not an option. However at 11 years of age you may find that it's physically too small for you. The BH VLF (I think Academy and Big 5 carry it, I think typically about $85) has the same circuit but in a larger more conventional mechanical design.

Diehard detectorists often scoff at the cheapies, but many of them got started with a cheapie. The Junior and VLF perform well enough for you to find out whether or not you like the hobby. The discrimination system is similar to that of many higher-priced machines, so the skills you learn are potentially transferable if you decide that you like the hobby but want something with more depth and features.

If you buy a used metal detector, you run the risk there may be a problem with it and you may have no recourse. I'm not saying therefore don't buy a used machine, but if possible have someone who knows metal detectors check it out first.

--Dave J.

OP
OP
jkng

jkng

Sep 14, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
woof! said:
The BH Junior is a good unit in its price range (typically about $60), very easy to learn how to use, and capable of a decent performance in urban settings where digging deep is not an option. However at 11 years of age you may find that it's physically too small for you. The BH VLF (I think Academy and Big 5 carry it, I think typically about $85) has the same circuit but in a larger more conventional mechanical design.

Diehard detectorists often scoff at the cheapies, but many of them got started with a cheapie. The Junior and VLF perform well enough for you to find out whether or not you like the hobby. The discrimination system is similar to that of many higher-priced machines, so the skills you learn are potentially transferable if you decide that you like the hobby but want something with more depth and features.

If you buy a used metal detector, you run the risk there may be a problem with it and you may have no recourse. I'm not saying therefore don't buy a used machine, but if possible have someone who knows metal detectors check it out first.

--Dave J.

Thanks! First I'm gonna get the BHJ and if MD is good and I get the hang of it, than I'll buy some better ones.

OP
OP
jkng

jkng

Sep 14, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Update!: I'm getting a Bounty Hunter Gold Digger! Woohoo!

L

lost hunter

Josephiking said:
Update!: I'm getting a Bounty Hunter Gold Digger! Woohoo!

Lets us know how you do HH

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread