Kids and metal detectors--the attraction

keithinvestigations

Mar 21, 2007
Ellisville, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 LE
Kid's and metal detectors--the attraction

I can't help but complain a bit about this. I have a nice site that I like to go to except for the dang neighborhood kids that come up. Don't get me wrong, I have two kids but when I'm detecting I'm trying to be focused and don't like people standing directly over where I'm looking, helping out digging and generally getting in the way. I would like to be a scrooge and tell them to bug off, but somehow I start warming up to them and giving them a few finds. Why I do that I don't know because I know it just keeps them coming back. Oh bother just wanted to bitch a bit.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Kid's and metal detectors--the attraction

Being a scrooge comes naturally to me, but I answer all the questions and tell them I need to hear the signals and I can't with them all talking. Never give them anything! It's best to wear headphones so the kids aren't attracted to you. That Beep, Beep draws them like flies. Go there in the rain, or early morning are other options. Good Luck.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

True story...
I was hunting on a beach in Spain 10-12 years ago, during daylight hours 3-5pm
and lots of people around....
so there were lots of kids there watching us as well, so when we dug a 100 Peseta coin
(about $1.00)
they were all like ... give it to me, give it to me.... you know...
So I looked up the beach ( I was in the wet sand at low tide) and saw an area of
dry sand where there was no one with a towel, 20 - 30 feet away....
I showed the coin to the kids, and they watched as I threw it hard over to the open
dry sandy area.... and I watched as it vanished beneath the sand...
Suddenly 10 of the 15 kids that were around me, took off running for the dry spot, to find the coin of course.... ( I did actually throw it )
An hour later, when there were no more people around we went back to that sandy spot
and found the coin I had thrown....
Coins will disappear in dry sand in an instant, and I knew they would not find it if I threw
it like I did.... but it got rid of some of them....
For a while....
Ha ha ha

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack

i try to stay away from crowded areas or detect at night. havent been followed by kids yet but i was one of those kids at one time and thats what got me into this hobby. i saw a lady pulling change out of the sand like magic and that was it.. got one of those orange handled radioshack cheapies as a kid and that was my first detector.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I tend to hunt early morning when no one is around. Also our winter is pretty mild but wet. I just put on my rain suit and have the parks to myself. I do much better in winter time because there is less competition from the fair weather hunters ;)

I have migrated to this type of hunting because of one too many munchkins wanting to see what I was doing and standing so close to the coil I couldn't even swing it. Also, I got a few to many kids asking why I was carrying a knife (my lesche digging tool) and didn't want one of them running to mommy saying that man over there has a big knife.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread