Kids cache or ash-tray full of coins dumped ?

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Todays hunt was interesting due what was either a cache of coins some kid buried or a ash-tray full of coins dumped out. Hard to say what the cause is just use your imagination. It took me at least twenty minutes to get the coins all out of the dirt !

First picture, the coins right after exhuming them ! :

5_15_2015 kids cache just exhumed.jpg

Second picture, cleaned and counted :

5_15_2015 kids cache cleaned tabulated.jpg

Todays finds totals:

5_15_2015 combined totals.jpg

The musket ball was from a field hunt found while trying to scout out a spot where there used to be a small pond. The heavy for its size metal under the little bling item was also found out there is a rather heavy and hard metal yet shiny like lead when scraped, possible some pot metal ? The blob of lead was found underneath the kids cache. Every item to the right of lead blob was in the kids cache ,except the 1969-s which was in another multi-coin dig. Will try taking a photo of the 1969 through a 10x loupe tomorrow, could not get the camera macro mode to get a crisp photo so no closeup picture on that tonight. The bling item was an eyeballed find while digging for a nickel signal, the metal on it reads in the foil range, seems like good metal, maybe silver.

Measurement photo for the musket-ball:

5_15_2015 musket ball measure.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed the post :headbang:

Upvote 8

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha Funny - I had the same thing happen, right next to a huge oak tree. Over one hundred pennies, though I didn't even get a wheaty!!!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clad or not, that's always fun pulling that many coins

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug a memorial spill last year with 100 of them, not a wheat in the bunch. Lol

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know even if it's all clad you gotta pull them all. I had a spot last year with a bunch of half zincs, all rotted. My knees were killing me so I walked away. I went back and finished it this year and ended up with the Sterling silver military pin I posted a few weeks ago. I don't walk away anymore, you never know who may hit it while your gone.

OP
OP
CoinandRelicMan

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ashtray dump!

Hi romeo 8-) Might be, seems like more than would fit in a new cars ash tray. Interesting mix I think with the "Wheat" and the "Canadian" Cent included! Could be it be that the big lead melt was just a co-incidence then?

Ha Funny - I had the same thing happen, right next to a huge oak tree. Over one hundred pennies, though I didn't even get a wheaty!!!

Hi T.R.F. :hello: Or a Canadian even ? Or 3 ounces of a lead melt?

Clad or not, that's always fun pulling that many coins

Hi cjon, agreed it was fun, that was the tightest bunch of cents I've found so far, all packed into a space the size of a softball ! :headbang:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always fun to have a bunch of coins come out CARM. One of these times they'll all be oldies

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you found that in year 2095 this would have been a banner! :)

Nice digs

OP
OP
CoinandRelicMan

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug a memorial spill last year with 100 of them, not a wheat in the bunch. Lol

Hi deershed , ouch not one even ? :BangHead:

You know even if it's all clad you gotta pull them all. I had a spot last year with a bunch of half zincs, all rotted. My knees were killing me so I walked away. I went back and finished it this year and ended up with the Sterling silver military pin I posted a few weeks ago. I don't walk away anymore, you never know who may hit it while your gone.
Hi qaela4 , fortunate that mine weren't rotted hardly :coffee2: Cool on the military pin, good story :occasion14:

Always fun to have a bunch of coins come out CARM. One of these times they'll all be oldies

Hi Ahab8 , I will keep hoping , at least I got educated a bit on what a massive coin signal is like :headbang:

If you found that in year 2095 this would have been a banner! :)

Nice digs

Hi trdking :headbang: Those zincs would have all been dust by then ! I saved them :laughing7: Thanks :icon_thumleft:

Update adding picture of the 1969-s from a multi-coin hole. Check out the view under a 10x loupe !

5_15_2015 10x on the 69s.jpg

This a good save ? Still think Its worth putting in a cardboard coin holder at least.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions