Fragile history

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
The great thing about farmers, is they plough things up for us to find. The bad thing is, in doing so they can damage them. These latest two hammered coins prove this sad fact. The largest one is a half groat of Henry VIII, the smaller one, not got an id yet. The button is a 17th century type, rare to find with the shank still attached. The field I've been searching, is liberally covered with pot shards and Neolithic worked flints. All in all a great place to search.

Robert.

Attachments

• IMG_6638.JPG
    IMG_6638.JPG
    392.5 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_6639.JPG
    IMG_6639.JPG
    564.7 KB · Views: 214
Upvote 14

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep...the plough is our best friend and our greatest enemy! Nice finds though!

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. But better to find it damaged, than to never find it at all. The plow is your friend. :thumbsup:

I-DIG-IT

Silver Member
Mar 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs. I would take it in any condition, nice silver.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They traded flint over very big distances. Most of the flint found here is local mined, some comes from Belgium, but we found artefacts made of south eastern europe stone!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
What's a plough:dontknow:?? They never do that around here. Everything is no-till planting. Relics and coins are slowly sinking to oblivion. It's a wonder we find anything in the fields.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
They traded flint over very big distances. Most of the flint found here is local mined, some comes from Belgium, but we found artefacts made of south eastern europe stone!
They were amazing people in those days Westfront.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
What's a plough:dontknow:?? They never do that around here. Everything is no-till planting. Relics and coins are slowly sinking to oblivion. It's a wonder we find anything in the fields.
Till planted Bill. Does that mean drilled direct into stubble ?.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Till planted Bill. Does that mean drilled direct into stubble ?.

Yep - exactly. So unless peanuts are planted, and there aren't too many of those, the ground never gets turned over. It has something to do with the Chesapeake Bay Act and keeping fertilizers and other chemicals from entering into the bay.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Yep - exactly. So unless peanuts are planted, and there aren't too many of those, the ground never gets turned over. It has something to do with the Chesapeake Bay Act and keeping fertilizers and other chemicals from entering into the bay.
Good news for the bay, but bad news for detecting Bill. Can see it would be very frustrating.!!!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sooooo how many hammered this year Rob?

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As Bill said, no plowing here. I have hunted the fields I have access to until I can now walk 30 minutes and never even get an iron grunt. A few years ago, they planted potatoes in my best field and someone came in a boat and stole many. Now it's back to drilling in the corn.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Heyyyyy Rob, nice scores. Your killing it with hammered silvers. You must be a hell of a detectorist - Sites that old must just be littered with iron signals and other nonsence from centuries, and you can still pull the good stuff.

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread