Killer 2 hour hunt! Found 1831 British Penny!

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At about 2 today I decided to find a place to metal detect and get permission... I walked down the street to a 1910 house (that happened to have an -1856 site somewhere nearby) and walked up and knocked on the door. They side sure, as long as you don't make a mess near the house and I walked back home and got my detector and headed back. I hunted for a bit and found most of the modern change, bell, and the key and then my ACE 300 just started chattering. It took a bit of trying and wouldn't cooperate, so I just turned my sensitivity way down. I got a nice 91-92 signal and when I popped the plug I found a huge coin at only a couple inches. At first I thought it was an Ike but wiping the dirt off I saw Britannia... thought it was from the 1940s until I saw the person on the back and thought that ain't normal. I looked up the name and it turns out it was an 1830s King William IV penny!!! I am also super happy about the key and the bell, but the penny is just great, definitely not what I expected.
I think it is about 35mm which matches the size of a penny, too big for farthing or halfpenny. Sorry for the bad pictures, in person you can read the date and see a more detail.
IMG_2041.JPG IMG_2042.JPG IMG_2043.JPG IMG_2044.JPG

Thanks for reading and Happy Hunting!

p.s. any information on the key would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Upvote 17

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The key definitely goes to a treasure chest. Every house had one. haha. Very nice large copper that would make my week!

Certainly... If I find the chest full of coins I will let yall know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread