Killer Beaver found!

S

stefen

Try this method, a little messy but delicious.
1 plump young beaver
2 onions, sliced
1/2 c. vinegar
1 apple, peeled & halved
3/4 c. catsup
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 c. granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
3 drops Tabasco sauce
Remove all fat from the beaver. Boil beaver with apple halves for 1 hour over medium heat. Drain and wipe dry. Transfer beaver to roasting pan and cover with sliced onion. Combine remaining ingredients in bowl, then pour over beaver.
Bake in 350 degree preheated oven for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Should be basted with the sauce about every 15 to 20 minutes. As sauce mixture thickens add water so it remains the consistency of gravy.

Hair on or off?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walked out the side door onto the deck one night to retrieve something, took one step and saw a double striper sunk 3 feet away inquiring what I was doing.....I backtracked into the house saying "nice kitty, nice kitty". There was one large northern water snake that actually attacked my daughter at our little garden pond once. It had a fatal accident....If the dam becomes too large I will have them relocated to places other beavers live around here. I bought me a game trail 8 mp camera this morning and it will in use by the end of the day. Can't wait.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The trail camera works. Got a nighttime pic of a red fox and a nighttime pic of the beaver's back AND a nice close up of the beaver's TONGUE this morning. Give me a break already. Will download and post tonight.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious how you might feel about a skunk living under your porch, rats in the neighbors garage, or even a mouse in your kitchen? Just curious, not an attack

I have a skunk that comes to my bird feeder every night. Not a problem. Give them a little space and they'll never spray you.

My cats catch mice in my attic all the time. I take them away from them and release them outdoors. I pick them up with my bare hands and have never been bitten.

Never had a rat problem, but I wouldn't kill them unless they got out of control. No need to destroy things out of fear or lack of education about the animals in this world.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be careful about trapping and dispatching the beavers as since they're furbearers there's usually a season on them and you need a license. Chicken wire around the tree trunks usually works. Call what passes for your DOW (Department of Wildlife) in your area and they should be able to help you out.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious how you might feel about a skunk living under your porch, rats in the neighbors garage, or even a mouse in your kitchen? Just curious, not an attack.

Have animal control trap the skunk and family and move them out in the wild. Rats, in garage,, homes, anywhere, hire a pro to kill them, or buy stuff at Home Depot, and kill them yourself. A mouse in kitchen, catch them with a trap with peanut butter, then throw everything in the Trash. Tippy my cat will keep the mouse away. Beavers, enjoy or call wild life reserve. Beavers are people too. Remember that. God put them on our good green Earth for many reasons. Enjoy without eating them.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leave it alone and protect your trees. Seems like a logical solution to me. No need to kill something just because it's chewing on your trees.
Would suggest the same, but nail it to the tree using small rubber grommets to insulate the chicken wire or pieces of rebar wrapped in electrical tape of pieces or bike inner tube to insulate. Attach an electric fence transformer to the chickenwire. They'll find other trees to munch. After they move on, you can use the transformer with a couple pieces of wire & rebar to bring up earthworms for fishing. Same as the trees a piece of chicken wire on the top of the fence will deter the local cats from yeowing all night next to your bedroom window. OH! don't forget to clue in the wife & your nosey neighbor! It's even better when they wet themselves! Better ground!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Beavers are people too. Remember that. God put them on our good green Earth for many reasons. Enjoy without eating them.
Yes, God put beaver on our good green Earth for many reasons, and one of those reasons is to eat them. Just as God put cow for beef, and fish for fry. Sorry if any vegetarians are offended.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the pics of the fox and creature from the black lagoon. Didn't get any pics over night due to learning curve on the camera owner. Going down to the pond I spooked a BOBCAT out of a nearby tree. What's next, Tyrannosaurus Rex in the lawn eating the beavers? Don't need any more wildlife....Never saw a Bobcat in North Central Maryland before, although I believe I've heard them at night before. WGI_0005.JPG WGI_0006.JPG

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, God put beaver on our good green Earth for many reasons, and one of those reasons is to eat them.

Did God tell you that? You must be a very special person to be having conversations with Him!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a pic of a deer in daylight but its very blurry. My neighbor saw a cougar about 2 weeks ago. I really do live in the woods.

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful Getting rid of beavers can be dangerous. A friend of mine lives in a gated community with ponds on most of the 5 to 10 acre lots. One of the residents was pissed the Beavers were damming the flow between ponds and sat in a lawn chair with a shotgun waiting for them to show, somehow gun went off and killed him. So Beavers are Dangerous.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose "go away beaver" won't be sufficient. He chomped bigger trees in the woods over the last few days. Maybe the bobcat or cougar will get him. I'd put good money on the bobcat, he probably read the posts on how tasty beavers are. I'm not sue how someone would sit in a lawn chair and kill self will shotgun....If it eventually needs removal I will certainly hire someone else to do it. Hope to have more pics tomorrow... IMG_1060.JPG These guys were at my neighbor's house this morning.

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have animal control trap the skunk and family and move them out in the wild. Rats, in garage,, homes, anywhere, hire a pro to kill them, or buy stuff at Home Depot, and kill them yourself. A mouse in kitchen, catch them with a trap with peanut butter, then throw everything in the Trash. Tippy my cat will keep the mouse away. Beavers, enjoy or call wild life reserve. Beavers are people too. Remember that. God put them on our good green Earth for many reasons. Enjoy without eating them.
This is # 27. Yes, God speak to me when he have problems that he cannot solve. He tells me all the time, that I am a special person. What do you say to God when he sneeze?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Beavers usually try to patch any running water sounds at a dam site not there after initial construction.
Damage to a dam inspires repair unless entire dam is removed.
Beaver cutting your hardwoods...must be for dam or lodge construction.
Usually poplar is for eating the inner bark.
When beavers get cutting poplar a hundred yards from water and dragging it through channels they are starting to eat themselves out of groceries.
Pros and cons to a dam depending on location and backwaters created..
Fishing can be interesting a while, though beware of beavers sticking lots of branches in the bottom for future vittles.
Silt accumulates upstream. Habitat changes after dam is no longer serviced.
Nothing new in North America.

If I wanted to be rid of them in my yard(a sandy dry place with no threat of beaver dams) I know a trapper who would when pelts are prime, help out.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This beaver constructed the dam of small diameter twigs and limbs. Nothing over 2" in diameter. It's built on a 10' wide swift but shallow creek which is subject to flash floods about twice a year. First flash flood of the spring and we'll see if he rebuilds it. Or maybe the bobcat will eat if first.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just curious how you might feel about a skunk living under your porch, rats in the neighbors garage, or even a mouse in your kitchen? Just curious, not an attack.

I say this as a diehard hunter who wholeheartedly believes in wildlife conservation:

If the exterminated neighborhood 'vermin' are to be replaced by a bunch of heathen kids who kill every animal they come across because they think they are heading off a future problem... I think i'll take the scenario you gave, and i'll do it with a smile.

~Tejaas~

Last edited:

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's sad that some people feel the need to control or destroy wildlife instead of just coexisting with it...

Co-exist with wildlife? I do the best I can to do that, but evidently you don't have elk where you live. Try dealing with an 800 lb. elk ripping your fruit trees to shreds. Yes, we have elk in Pa. Or a beaver cutting down a fruit tree. Then ask me about coexisting with wildlife. Not an attack, only a statement.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions