killer bee stinger or Grey Ghost rattler need some input

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 1000, Xterra-70 x3, Garret ace 250,
I want to get a set that will be comfortable but quality. I know both are good name products. These are for my wife who refuses to use headphones because she cannot hear what is around her. So I figure she might wear at least one cup.
She also uses an xterra 70 so they need to be a better set with the higher impedance level.

Just trying to get so info on which to get
Ty for your comments
Joe

Upvote 0

camcolo

Mar 17, 2005
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Whites Beach Hunter TDI
Re: killer bee stinger or gray ghost rattler need some input

I would agree that it would be nice to see if anyone has used the single ear headphones. I am going to buy a set and figure that it will be the Pro Gods or Black Widow. However, I wondered if the sound was good and if you could focus on hearing from just one speaker. Does anyone use these? I actually plugged my ear buds into my detector this summer. They have really great sound. I almost thought that I would prefer those over headphones. It seems that the Rattlers can be used on the right or left ear. I think they may be frustrating if there is much ambient noise or wind.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have used the Rattlers headphones by Detector Pro http://www.detectorpro.com/headphones.htm and found that I had a hard time adjusting to only using one ear. I tried for a whole summer so I could hear the outside noises from those around me and I just couldn't adjust to the lower tones in only one ear. I now use Black Widow's which block out more noise than the Grey Ghost Ultimate and are extremely comfortable. I suggest she try on the various models as everyones head and comfort level is different.

camcolo

Mar 17, 2005
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Whites Beach Hunter TDI

I will say that I meant Pro Golds and not Pro-Gods! I suspected as much about ambient noise. As a note: since I cannot hear when a rattlesnake is near, I bought Turtleskin Snakegaitors. A little pricey, but they are a necessity when detecting in rattlesnake country. Worth the extra $$ over other brands. I hope others have also tried the Rattlers. Thanks for the feedback and a good topic for this forum that I had not seen previously addressed. Curt

Idaho hunter

Jan 2, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350- Ace250- 10X WORKHORSE - GARRETT PRO POINTER - Mighty AP digger

I had an old pair of head phones that one side did not work anymore so i just
cut the one that didn't work off and used it that way and liked it so well that
I made another one with just one ear phone for my other detector. I can hear
someone walking up to me and can keep detecting while talking to someone
or able to hear the cell phone ring. my wife dosen't like them but that is the
only way I use them now.
idaho hunter

wolcottdigger

Oct 30, 2008
Wolcott, CT
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer
I have been using the Rattler headphones for over a year an I
really like them. I like that I can hear whats going on around me
as well as the detector tones, no problems concentrating.
It has a nice click volume control and a compatibility switch.
I'm not really sure what the switch is for, it works with my
detector in one position and don't in the other. I guess some
detectors have different headphone jacks. The small padded
block thats on one end of the headphones came off it was just
glued on but I used a pop rivet to put it back on. The red arrow
shows where I used a pop rivet to re attach the foam block.
I like them.

Joe

Attachments

• 100_7706.JPG
    100_7706.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 1,062
  • 100_7707.JPG
    100_7707.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,331

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sandman said:
I have used the Rattlers headphones by Detector Pro http://www.detectorpro.com/headphones.htm and found that I had a hard time adjusting to only using one ear. I tried for a whole summer so I could hear the outside noises from those around me and I just couldn't adjust to the lower tones in only one ear. I now use Black Widow's which block out more noise than the Grey Ghost Ultimate and are extremely comfortable. I suggest she try on the various models as everyones head and comfort level is different.
This is good advise from Sandman. I agree everyone is different.

Personally, The less outside noise for me the better but, I understand your wife's concern's.

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I realize I'm late answering this, but if it will help, I've used both single cup headphones you asked about and it works just fine for me. I use 3 different X-terras (70/705/50) and the single cup works fine because with digital detectors there really is no whisper signals, like you get with the analog machines. It either produces a tone or it doesn't. Now, with the analog machines I've used I have a two cup pair that I prefer because you can get the faint signals that are hard to hear if you're not concentrating, but with a digital only machine, the single cup headphones are just fine.

grumpyolman

Jul 18, 2008
Raymond, WA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the killer bee single ear set. Only have one ear that works so don't really need two earcups. I also have some Grey Ghosts. I am using them on an E-Trac. I went to the Ratphone site and read all their literature and research and decided I wanted to try some of their newer ones. Placed a wanted in the classifieds and picked up a used set of the new blue color Rats. I tried them today for the first time. The audio on those are incredible. It's like the difference between a clock radio's sound compared to a full feature home stereo system. I think I will be better able to hear the slight variances in the information given via the headphones. They block the ambient noise much better than most. That could be dangerous if you aren't watching your backside. Ever try to describe a sound?? They are just a softer mellower tone and the low tones are much easier to hear because the phones guarantee 20-2000 Hz sound capabilities. After all this...the man who makes them has shut down his operation for awhile. When he starts up again and I would wager a hot fudge Sunday that if you tried em you wouldn't use anything else.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
It seams i have tried everything from ear bugs, over the ear ear bugs. I now only use my Grey Ghost Black Widows. Some say they are tight on the head, yes they are however that is why they knock out most of the ambient noise. If they fit loose more noise gets in. If you are near waves or surf or wind you can still hear the faint signals. If someone walks up to you you wont hear them so make sure you use the buddy system for safety and don't go walking down RR tracks with them LOL! I really like my Black Widows.

Doug

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know this is an older thread, but does anyone have any further recommendations for single-cup headphones such as the Killer B Stinger or the DetectorPro Rattler models? Due to having had mountain lions stalk me before, running into loose dogs, and coming scross random strangers in the middle of nowhere; I would like to get a single-cup headphone of some sort for when I go out nuggetshooting this upcoming season. After my own personal research, I am taking a closer look at the DetectorPro Rattler model based primarily on having seen more positive reviews of it compared to the Killer BB Stinger, but if anyone has any thing to add or recommend, I am all ears.

Thanks!

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a set of the Killer Bee Stingers....they work great for me!! They are the first and only set I've owned, so I can't really give you a comparison with anything. Also, they are made in the U.S.A.:thumbsup:

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An old thread but here's my first hand experiencing with the killer B's Optima (2 ear cups) and the Detector Pro Rattler (single ear cup).

The build:
Ear cups, KB Optima very soft leather cover. DP Rattler vinyl. Padding in the middle: KB foam with soft leather cover, Dp foam with vinyl cover

Cords, KB thicker than Dp.

Comfort, KB, I only have done 2 hunts, but wore them 4+ hours both days, I give they 5 out of 5 stars, Dp 1 hour of wear and the side of the head really hurts, way too tight, 1 star.

Warranty, they both come with a lifetime Limited warranty, can't say how KB will handle a problem but I can tell you of my experience with Dp. The foam tore off on the non-cup side and got lost on the beach. I contacted Dp "That's not covered", and no I can't buy a new chunk of foam from them either. They don't stock parts for the head phones. At this point they were only 5 months old.

Would I buy Detector pro again? NO.
killer B's Yes.

If I were to buy another single cup head phone again I would but the KB's brand. This is my personal experience and opinion.
Just remember opinions are like ********* everybody has one and sometimes they stink:laughing7:

Last edited:

SoCalDesertFox

Nov 27, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
First Texas Search Master DX-3500 (1981)
Primary Interest:
Other
If you're going single-ear, the BIGGEST problem you have is determining which ear hears tones better and which ear detects volume better. Much like your individual eyes actually have a perception difference (one sees more blue, the other sees more red, though it is subtle) your ears have a similar perception separation between tone and loudness.

Bear that in mind when you think about purchasing single-ear headphones.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
grey ghost's quality has gone down hill. Get the killer B's .

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
clv, SoCalDesertFox, and Tom; thank you all very much for your input! Looks like I will be getting a pair of Killer B's. Thank you all once again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread