Killer family reunion silver find

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I had taken the day off but apparently not? We had a family reunion today that was a total blast, I knew there was going to be a silent auction but wasn't planning on bidding on anything. One of my great aunts had contributed some jewelry, including a lot of two bolo ties, one of which was sterling signed with a pictorial mark. I won them for ten bucks! Checked with her to let her know it was silver and make sure they didn't want it back but they'd gotten it second-hand as costume jewelry and couldn't have cared less. It's a really nice piece and I'm reluctant to sell it so I'll be holding onto it for the time being. If anyone cares to take a crack at the hallmark I would be much obliged.

ForumRunner_20150627_170723.png

ForumRunner_20150627_170733.png

OP
OP
kali_is_my_copilot

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha never mind I found it first for once! It's made by Willie Yazzie.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mark is Navajo silver smith Willie Yazzie. . I posted some time back a belt buckle in this GS forum made by Yazzie I found for under $7.00 at a GW. There are 2 type marks Yazzie 1 & 2. Yours and mine are Yazzie/2 It was because it didn't say .925 or Sterling on it was why it was priced low. I believe the pictorial mark is a shaman's dipper?

OP
OP
kali_is_my_copilot

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks tamrock I was unable to find your original post just now but I noticed the hallmark right away because I remembered you posting about something similarly marked! Didn't realize it was the same one, but before seeing your post I wouldn't have known that some NA jewelry is marked so discreetly and might have passed up on it so thanks :) And thanks for identifying the pictograph I thought it was a stylized bird.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Obviously I can't speak for how Kali's family handles their auction but I have been to several events where they used a silent auction as a fund raising concept. What I have typically seen is the event planners solicit donations of items to be auctioned. These items are then put on display for event attendees to examine. A bidding sheet is placed next to each item. If you want to bid, you register (like a regular auction) by proving your name and contact info to the event coordinators who then give you a bidder number. To bid on an item, you write down your bidder number and your bid on the sheet. Throughout the event, other people can then bid a higher amount if they wish. At the end of the event, the bidding sheets are collected and the highest bidder for each item is announced. I have seen all manner of things donated for silent auctions including intangible objects such as vacation trips, contractor services, etc.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice piece of silver. Never heard of a silent auction at a family reunion. The last family reunion I went to though was in the 70's, when I was a kid.

OP
OP
kali_is_my_copilot

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, the silent auction was to raise money for next year's reunion, several people also contributed to a memorial quilt that was raffled off, it was all in good fun and for a good cause! For the record I thought It was strange too but it ended up being really nice.

OP
OP
kali_is_my_copilot

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup dig still haven't decided what to do with it but it sure is easy on the eyes!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread