Killer Infantry Button, 193 year old coin, trifecta, silver.....OH MY, what a hunt!!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey guys, headed out with old dude today for some permission seeking, today was a good day of yes's, we only knocked on 4 doors, and got 3 yes's, the no came from a contractor working on a house. First house was built 1865, we had a nice front yard to hit, half way through the owner informed us that about 6" of topsoil was put down over the yard:BangHead:, we still persevered and managed some good finds, my first target was the undateable large cent, I thought BAM, its on!, 20150409_092422.jpg 20150409_165110.jpg a few targets later I got a nice 11-45 and thought heres a wheat and sure enough, got a wheat, all I needed was an indian to complete my first Etrac trifecta and first trifecta of 2015, low and behold about 4 targets later I got it!, 1883 indian head, trifecta complete!!:headbang:, the finds slowed down a lot after that so we were on our way to the car and BAM, silver tone (11-46) at only 4", sure enough silver #2 for the year for me, 1953 roosie, just what the doctor ordered!
yes this was an "on the way to the car" target indeed!

Next home was built in 1912, we were only allowed to do the very small front yard, Didn't manage much in the way of goodies except one more wheat and what I thought was a sterling ring, come to find the mark "sterling espo", meaning electroplated, still cool though! 20150409_165154-1.jpg 20150409_120545.jpg

Site #3 was a nice older home with a big yard but both our detectors were sounding off like crazy, a TON of chatter everywhere, still we both managed a wheat or two each and bailed, headed for the farm I hit last year.

Site #4 is an 1832 farm home, dave and I hit this last year and got some keepers, the finds there today were much slower, I started with a few shotgun headstamps, then a wheat, some clad and then a nice 1927 buffalo, I was bound and determined that there was more there, last year I got a nice draped bust large cent from there, so I zigzagged across the front lawn and got an iffy tone something like a 9-40 something and about the entire length of my pinpointer down I dug one of the nicest large cents I ever found 1822!!:headbang:, 20150409_165121.jpg 0822.jpg still hoping for more I kept crisscrossing the lawn and got a nice 11-40 and this one was deeeeep, dug a nice plug, and pinpointed and sure enough I was right on top of it, dug a little more dirt and bang THE MOST BEAUTIFUL BUTTON I have ever dug, a sweet infantry button with some gold gilt still on it!, 20150409_165045-1.jpg buttonback.jpg any help with ID would be awesome!! Sorry for the long book you had to read with this post, lets just say this hunt was just what the good doctor ordered!!!
20150409_145448.jpg 20150409_160944.jpg 20150409_165359.jpg 20150409_165019.jpg

thanks for looking and hh!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 22

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guess you guys were out all day. That's alot of diggin'. Great finds!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have to say the Infantry is my favorite find of the day!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow man, awesome finds! Hard to pick a fav find, the button is really good, I'm drawn to the large cent she's a beauty.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Have to say the Infantry is my favorite find of the day!

It sure would be mine! What a great button!! CW era and just a beauty. I don't know how you clean, but here's my rule: If I see NO GOLD I don't touch it except water. If I can see gilt (Like on yours) I put it in vinegar for about 2 minutes max. NO LONGER! Brush it lightly with a SOFT bristle toothbrush. Then rinse WELL with water, using a toothbrush with no vinegar. They can SHOCK you how they turn out. If the gilt is gone, the vinegar can turn the button so brown it's almost purple. So I don't use the vin unless I see some gold. It's beautiful just like it is, of course. GREAT find.

Here's a New York after Vinegar. But you can see how brown it is where the gilt was worn off.

DSCN0310.JPG

richeysd76

Oct 28, 2013
spotsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Garrett at pro, fisher f4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet large cent and infantry button don't diggem up like that to often. Parsonwalker love that NY button

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang you killed it out there ! I love the large,( I wouldn't touch it ) and the button should clean up fine .

Nepa-Will

Nov 15, 2014
Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP WS4 Wireless Headphones,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's it. It's official that I have to hunt one county over :walk:. Seems all the Large Cents are there. Man is she a beauty:love4:. Infantry button rocks :headbang: too.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow man, awesome finds! Hard to pick a fav find, the button is really good, I'm drawn to the large cent she's a beauty.
Thanks JCache, this hunt was alot of fun!
That's it. It's official that I have to hunt one county over :walk:. Seems all the Large Cents are there. Man is she a beauty:love4:. Infantry button rocks :headbang: too.
Thanks will, it was very exciting digging that 1822 so deep, I've hit that farm 3 other times b4 this hunt too!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
According to my book, the button is after 1851, and because of the gold gilt, was an officer's button. There were many variations of the infantry buttons, but only a couple with the curved serifs on the bottom and top of the " I ". Definitely my favorite of the day!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to my book, the button is after 1851, and because of the gold gilt, was an officer's button. There were many variations of the infantry buttons, but only a couple with the curved serifs on the bottom and top of the " I ". Definitely my favorite of the day!

Thanks dave!, I'll take any thing CW related and in our neck of the woods CW finds don't come by so easily, can't wait to get out again!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like you guys had a fun day with some nice finds. Doesn't get any better than that.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a really spectacular hunt! Copper trifecta! Congrats Chris. I hope that you and OD have continued success!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you guys had a fun day with some nice finds. Doesn't get any better than that.
Thanks bill, it was pretty exciting digging that lc and button so deep, that was a first for me!
What a day. I don't know what else to say..good job
thanks alot jim, it was a great day, permission came easy and made some good finds too, can't ask for much more

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a really spectacular hunt! Copper trifecta! Congrats Chris. I hope that you and OD have continued success!

Thanks tom, this Is just what I needed, a day full of easy permission and great finds, hope it keeps going, thanks again!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Chris you came back with a vengeance! Holy crap you knocked it outta the park!

That 1822 is getting down there, congrats. And those blank coppers happen too. It's about the same diameter as the 1822, but thinner it looks like? Maybe it's an old 1/2 penny or something. Those 1/2 pennies love to blank out. Then the ring to top things off? Amazing!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chris you came back with a vengeance! Holy crap you knocked it outta the park!

That 1822 is getting down there, congrats. And those blank coppers happen too. It's about the same diameter as the 1822, but thinner it looks like? Maybe it's an old 1/2 penny or something. Those 1/2 pennies love to blank out. Then the ring to top things off? Amazing!

Thanks pal!, I pulled a draped bust from this same place last year, it's 1803 or 04, can't quite make out the last number, that predates the farmhouse, it was built in 1832

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread