kimberlite/impact diamond/ platinum group nugget

Connor McCloud

Aug 25, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this a Mindat and they deleted me within about 10 minutes for no specified reason. I have an idea why but its not appropriate to elaborate here.

So this little collection represents 2 months of work for me this last june-july. Its all alluvial drops and there is actually a fair bit of competition where I go but lets just say I am not about to slack off when the getting is good.

I have a link to youtube where I posted a few videos and I can drop a few pics here.

Now the platinum nuggets do bubble in peroxide, the large grey one was originally a solid 3 pound piece. I broke it which is why you can see the interior of it which is ok in my book since I am aware there are larger specimens out there that would be a little more risky to break into pieces from a collectors standpoint.

The shinier more metallic luster piece is about 1 pound or so. Then I got a few smaller ones, they exhibit the black skid mark of carbon on all pieces and are non-magnetic except for a tiny little pin head surface inclusion of iron where it was forced out as an impurity on one of the broke large grey chunks but it is like 99.9999 no iron basically cause I used neodymium small magnet as well as a 1800 pound double sided magnet.

When we were kids we found some chunks but we didnt know what they were and lost them moving so many times over the years.

As far as the diamonds go sure most of them won't being going for millions but I like them good enough.

20210523_180632_HDR (1).jpg

20210526_221658_HDR.jpg

20210526_220940.jpg

20210523_181100 (1).jpg

20210526_193943.jpg

20210526_185036_HDR.jpg

Thats it for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 2
OP
OP
C

Connor McCloud

Aug 25, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok Thats why I came here to learn from old heads. I'm open to new concepts and information cause frankly I'm not the best researcher either.

I do alot of comparison and I'll admit theres been times where its difficult to say one way or the other.

If it is Quartz its got some nice warm colors that remind me of the sunset so thats good.

Youtube is only used since I have issues connecting my camera for some reason directly to the puter.

In any case I still have mystery metal which is why I came back for more flogging.

I did say I would do the peroxide test at least. I have not bothered to order any acid test kit just yet.

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a bunch of worthless quartz...

I am done with this attempt to get youtube hitz...
Also have to agree, a couple are raw agate not worth much, and the rest are common quartz lots in my state and I see it all the time. Some sort of attention grabbing or youtube grab as you suggest. I'm not even very familiar with minerals but even I know these are all common.

OP
OP
C

Connor McCloud

Aug 25, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also have to agree, a couple are raw agate not worth much, and the rest are common quartz lots in my state and I see it all the time. Some sort of attention grabbing or youtube grab as you suggest. I'm not even very familiar with minerals but even I know these are all common.

Well I see my other post has not been approved just yet but its late night where I'm at.

Yeah I am new to this as I had said so theres lots of time to learn all this.

I'm the type to not care much about rocks but I get the appeal of finding nice things for the bookshelf.

Btw maybe you could show me a picture of your agates to give me a visual idea of what you are talking about with the beach agate.

There are agates all over out here I hear but I've not specifically spent any time learning about them or hunting them just yet but its been on my mind.

One thing leads to another and maybe I might need a way to make cabs right.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Connor McCloud

Aug 25, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see that some of you are very much not interested in further discussion, maybe a mod could move this thread cause in my mind this was as good as any place. Maybe to a what is it kind of theme instead of what might be the improper area after all.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see that some of you are very much not interested in further discussion, maybe a mod could move this thread cause in my mind this was as good as any place. Maybe to a what is it kind of theme instead of what might be the improper area after all.

Your thread and posts are fine here if it is a today's or very recent find. A couple members are out of line and on border line of breaking our rules so please don't let them discourage you from posting.

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I see my other post has not been approved just yet but its late night where I'm at.

I'm the type to not care much about rocks but I get the appeal of finding nice things for the bookshelf.

Btw maybe you could show me a picture of your agates to give me a visual idea of what you are talking about with the beach agate.

There are agates all over out here I hear but I've not specifically spent any time learning about them or hunting them just yet but its been on my mind.

I'll show you my agates they aren't very impressive but you have a few that are very similar to mine, by the way not trying to be hostile but I've seen lately a few posts of people scamming and such if you had no ill intentions I do apologize.

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here's my two little agates. One is more rough and not so polished. Also one of your bigger rocks you have the light going through may be a bigger agate I'm not 100% sure on that mind you but it does look a little how rougher agates can look. Nice specimen if that one is. mir_20210826_080937.jpg 20210826_081043.jpg

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Kimberlite? No
Diamonds? No
Platinum group anything? No

This is my opinion based on the images and videos provided.

Get out the geology books, gemology books, and the precious metals testing books.

Learn to both test and visually identify.

Time for more coffee.

OP
OP
C

Connor McCloud

Aug 25, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK thanks for showing those pictures of the agate I do see now what you mean and comparing things is kinda my modus operandi being a newb. I'll have to do some more homework on the agates then since they are so ubiquitous in nature it seems.
20210526_200304.jpg

20210526_195834_HDR.jpg

The real rub comes I imagine when you really go into your field areas and get a wider understanding of whats out there.

Where I'm at is the pacific northwest and I have covered probably .00001% of all searchable areas so I'd say I better get busy again next season to get more on the ground experience.

Whats funny is I was originally looking for placer gold, then I found shiny rocks, then some kind of mystery metal from just one square mile spot.

But either way I learned what I could from the low hanging fruit and so coming here and asking a few questions and getting some opinions helps me alot.

I been meaning to make a trip to the beaches anyways its only a few hours away so maybe I can find a few agates for the collection and learning efforts.

I'm not a big fan of the ocean up close (natures scary). But then again there is flour beach gold there too and I don't have any gold yet.

Speaking of beach gold there is a guy who has a youtube channel and he makes black sand seperators both wet and dry models for the beach gold. Interesting stuff there too I might check out.

So I did get a metal detecting wand and I will probably end up getting a full size detector so I will be branching out my activites from this experience hopefully there are some things yet to be found around my area.

In the words of the terminator, I'll be back. Also I will try to figure out for sure what is the mystery metal if not platinum or palladium. The volcano made it now I gotta figure it out.

This is not my listing but for comparison purposes based on my peroxide test video check this out. That rusty looking piece I have I thought was rusty steel cause there were some busted down bridge structures or something where I was at.

But when I put it in peroxide it bubbles. Check this out for comparison to what I posted. https://www.etsy.com/listing/645671...uery=platinum+nugget&ref=sr_gallery-1-8&frs=1

Now I understand that there are plenty of scammers selling things they say are one thing. I never thought a platinum metal would look like a big rust flake but there it is.

Here is one more example of what the mystery metal can be its not my video but I am glad I stumbled onto it cause its looking similar to the mystery metal.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll try to get some quartz, carnelian and agate pics up. Last two days have been rough.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will get pics. Expecting a big rain and trying to get ready for it.

You said you were in the Pacific Northwest.

So...Platinum occurs in alluvial deposits in Coos, Curry, Jackson, Baker and Josephine counties, Oregon. No other counties report any occurrences.

In Washington in Kittias, Whatcom, Okanogan, Chelan, Skagit, Challam and Greys Harbor Counties.

In Idaho Owyhee, Adams, Boise, Elmore, Blaine and Bonneville Counties.

In northern California Del Norte, Siskiyou, Humboldt, Trinity and Shasta Counties. Siskiyou and Trinity seem to have the most occurrences. So...if you were not looking in those counties you probably do not have platinum. Most if not all of this occurs as grains in alluvial deposits.

OP
OP
C

Connor McCloud

Aug 25, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thank you smokey I did watch some agate hunting videos to sort of see what is the difference between these agates and such I'm still on the warpath to figure these rocks and that mystery metal out.

Anything you can clue me in to might help and I will say there is alot more information on agates than any sort of platinum group stuff. Probably cause one is rare than the other and tightly controlled due to the low production overall.

I look forward to studying anything you have to put in front of me.

Now I suppose I should have put a ? on my post title but I'm learning slowly how to use the forum a bit better without stepping on toes.

I know in my heart that the people who frequent these forums are a wealth of knowledge, whether they will share and commiserate is another thing but its worth a shot when information is scarce.

Even if everything I found is not valuble I took great pleasure in hunting for it.

Last edited:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thank you smokey I did watch some agate hunting videos to sort of see what is the difference between these agates and such I'm still on the warpath to figure these rocks and that mystery metal out.

Anything you can clue me in to might help and I will say there is alot more information on agates than any sort of platinum group stuff. Probably cause one is rare than the other and tightly controlled due to the low production overall.

I look forward to studying anything you have to put in front of me.

Now I suppose I should have put a ? on my post title but I'm learning slowly how to use the forum a bit better without stepping on toes.

I know in my heart that the people who frequent these forums are a wealth of knowledge, whether they will share and commiserate is another thing but its worth a shot when information is scarce.

Even if everything I found is not valuble I took great pleasure in hunting for it.

Nobody is trying to denigrate your finds,they just don,t seem to be what you think they are and they,re pointing that out.They,re definitely pretty,but they seem to be rocks,no more,no less.I saw identical rocks in Railroad ballast from the 1950-60 era,same size,same shape,same color.I truly hope they,re what you think they are,but the guys on here have a world of knowledge and experience.if you ask,They.ll tell you what they think.If it,s not what you want to hear,get your rocks examined by a professional in your area.

OP
OP
C

Connor McCloud

Aug 25, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody is trying to denigrate your finds,they just don,t seem to be what you think they are and they,re pointing that out.They,re definitely pretty,but they seem to be rocks,no more,no less.I saw identical rocks in Railroad ballast from the 1950-60 era,same size,same shape,same color.I truly hope they,re what you think they are,but the guys on here have a world of knowledge and experience.if you ask,They.ll tell you what they think.If it,s not what you want to hear,get your rocks examined by a professional in your area.

I don't mind denigration or praise here I'm just happy to see some input its not about attention I got plenty of that I'm sure from other things. Its just I need some big brains, I'm plenty smart but smart don't always = experience.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions